New member, new to fly fishing

Yoder

I live in Pike county and I've fished spinning rods since I could walk but never picked up a fly rod until a couple weeks ago. I was inspired by a local college kid's youtube channel (Outdoor Tech PA). I seen him catching a pile of trout on streams I fish. I picked up a super cheap 3wt Maxcatch nymphing setup to see how I would like it. I've been out twice and I'm amazed at how many fish I've been catching. I'm used to fishing small jigs like Trout Magnets with a spinning rod. I would catch a few, but nothing crazy. After using the nymphing rod, I feel like I was trying to hammer nails with a wrench for the last 20 years. This is the right tool for the job.

Welcome Yoder!

You can fish Trout Mags on a fly rod. The 1/128 oz. jig head ones were made for made for fly rods, no way you could cast that on a spin rod without assisted weight. I have fished these in my early days of fly fishing before I got too snobbish. As much of a fly fishing purist I try to be I am not that far from my spin fishing days and I still have some Trout Magnets around so I might as well fish em'. I'd send you what I have left if you are interested.

Welcome Yoder! My real-life name is Greg Yothers and Yothers was derived from Yoder about 200 years ago. We are probably related...

Welcome aboard. GG

Sarasota landmark, famous for their fried chicken and pies. GG

I live in Pike county and I've fished spinning rods since I could walk but never picked up a fly rod until a couple weeks ago. I was inspired by a local college kid's youtube channel (Outdoor Tech PA). I seen him catching a pile of trout on streams I fish. I picked up a super cheap 3wt Maxcatch nymphing setup to see how I would like it. I've been out twice and I'm amazed at how many fish I've been catching. I'm used to fishing small jigs like Trout Magnets with a spinning rod. I would catch a few, but nothing crazy. After using the nymphing rod, I feel like I was trying to hammer nails with a wrench for the last 20 years. This is the right tool for the job.
I’ve been using maxcatch reels on my rods with no issues. Great price at 40$ for a new fly fisherman haha. I did replace the line on one of them which was definitely worth it.

Back