New 6 wt

hunter1

hunter1

Hi, All. I have an Older T & T 8'6" 5 wt I use for nymphing and streamers in the winter. Nice rod, but I have to stick with smaller flies.
Iwaas thinking of getting rid of it and get a good 6 wt for nymphing. Would I have any advantage in moving up a wt. I have read a 8'6" or a 9' , 6 wt do great for nymphing. Thanks all.

Moving up in line weight would not have an advantage for nymphing, however moving up in rod length would, I would consider a 10 foot rod in either a 3 or 4 wt.

A 6wt will make it easier to cast bigger flies. Going up in length won't matter in regards to the size of flies you can cast.

My 690 Igniter is probably my most universal rod. I use it for trout (winter nymphs and streamers), bass, carp, and light saltwater (fluke, croakers, redfish, speckled trout).

I've owned one 10' rod, I will never own another one. That extra 12" is of no advantage to my fishing and a pain in the *** to manuever streamside or in a boat.

What do you mean you have to stick with "smaller flies?" A 5 weight can fish any streamer that you'd really ever throw here in PA. Even big, heavy streamers can easily be tossed on a 5 weight.

I've never owned a 5, but I own plenty of 4 and 6 weights. If I could only have one fly rod it would be a 6 weight. It's the jack of all trades but master of none, in my opinion. I do use my 6 weights and I will always own one. What kind of nymphing do you do?

There is a difference between "can be tossed" and "can be even more easily and comfortably tossed". The 5 weight is the former and the 6 weight is the latter when it comes to heavier or larger flies.

If you can manage it, maybe you could hang onto your 5 wgt for fishing dries and smaller nymphs and also get a 6 for the bigger stuff. That would be optimal..

There are always trade offs in everything in fly fishing.. What do you first for? Only trout? If you fish for other fish such as bass, I'd skip the 6 weight and buy a 7 weight. What kinds/size of flies are you having trouble throwing on the 5?

To me a 7 or 8 is a streamer rod. You can throw size 8 wooly buggers with a 5 weight but when you get into bigger streamers and rabbit and coneheads you really want a 7 or 8.

What flies are you throwing in PA that are too big for a 5 weight and what river? The only thing I can think of would be the Deleware on a very windy day even then I would still nymph a 10 foot 5 weight. A little more detail would help give you some better info. For nymphing I would definitely recommend more length in most situations, it's an absolute game changer.

I have a 3 wt, 4 wt, 5 wt, 7wt 8wt, 9wt for salt water and stripers, and a 4 - 5 wt 6.5 for small streams. I like 9' rods. Yes, I can keep my 5 wt.
I was looking at the Fky shops H2/0 6 wt combo with there reel. I don't know much about there rods other than there not American made. All my other rods are American made. But I figured for how much I use a 5 or new 6 wt for winter, why spend 900 to a grand on a rod, I use Sage, Orvice, and T&T. If I decide to go with an expencive rod , I'm looking at Winston. I do learn a lot from all of you. That's what makes this forum great, is the members. Thank's for the opinions so far.

Agree with what Ryan said about nymphing/more length. Got a 10' five wt about ten years ago. I have arms with about the length of a
T-Rex and that extra foot does really help me. It's a great rod out of a boat as well.

Sorry ryan, I mostly fish the GP in md, and a few small streams in PA.Nothing big , mostly the GP, I like the 5 wt but it feels more like a stiff 4 wt. I use no larger than a # 12 nymph. It's when I cast wooly buggers in that size, I have a problem. I have long arms so xtra length is not a problem. I do like nymph fishing a lot. What company makes a 10' 5 0r 6 wt nymph rod. Thank you.

10’0” 5wt if you’re trout only. 9’6”-10’0” 6wt if you’re trout, freshwater bass and Erie steelhead. Between your rod and one of these options you will be covered for the vast majority of freshwater. If you want to cover the rest then get a 7’0-7’6” 3wt or 4wt and virtually all of your freshwater scenarios will be covered. Then if you want to cover the last remaining get an 8wt and 10wt for big bass flies and pike/stripers/musky/salmon and now you’re golden...covered for virtually all freshwater and saltwater to boot! but don’t forget you’ll need backups. It’s a very slippery slope. Don’t ask me how I know... but I digress...10’0” 5wt or 9’6”-10’0” 6wt sounds like what you’re looking for. One thing to keep in mind the swing weight on these rods gonna be considerably heavier than your rod...if that matters then stick to 9’0” 6wt. Good luck with your search! Prospecting for the next rod is tons of fun!

Thank you ryc, I use my 8 wt for lg, sml mouth bass. Your right, I do not like heavy fods for trout. Big thing is I probably have the new rod fever, gotta get one. lol. Thanks for the advice.

I can relate. Just got myself a new to me 10’0” 5wt and it’s my favorite trout rod. Heavy indi rigs, tight line, streamers. Does it all well enough that I don’t care to get specialized rods quite yet...only a matter of time before I do that though. I’m not sure it translates to all 10’0” rods but so far the two that I’ve had both seem stout to their rated wt class. Had a 10ft 6wt and it was so stout it was garbage in close so I sold it and got my current 10ft 5wt and that still feels stout but much better than the 6wt I had. Comfortably toss size 2 weighted rabbit strip streamers and indi rigs with weighted nymphs and shot. So do your research and try to cast whatever you can before you buy.

I fish a 10’ 2wt for most of my nymphing. Very comfortable fishing it anywhere in the state. I can throw buggers, average sized streamers a euro rig or a New Zealand rig just fine. The size of the tippet you use has a max amount of pressure it can take, weather you use a 2wt or an 8wt. The farther you cast the more disconnect you have with your fly while nymphing anyway.

Keep the 8'6" 5 for dry flies and late spring to early summer general trout, and add a 10' 3 or 4 wt for nymphing. If you're looking for more power to throw big streamers, mouse flies and such, don't fool around with a 6. Don't be afraid of a 7 or even 8 weight in the 9' range; go with a limber/soft action if you're after trout (otherwise you won't get any kind of fight out of anything under 12 inches). If you're after river bass or steelhead, a firmer action may be the ticket.

(I have three 10' rods, at 6, 4, and 3 wt and find for nymphing, the lighter weights are much better; 6 wt 10 is really just a light steelhead rod or too heavy trout rod.)

Strong suggestion: don't buy from a box store; go to a shop where you can try a rod. You'll pay a few dollars more, but it will be well worth it. If you go the other route and end up with a rod you don't like, can't return and never fish with, you've wasted the full amount of the purchase price.

Again, keep the rod you have and add another one or two to your collection. If you try to sell it, you'll be disappointed with what you get for it, and you might miss it in certain situations going forward.

Thanks Jim. I like the idea of the 10' 3 or 4 wt rod. I always buy from my local trout store. I'll go see him and see what he has. Thanks again.

Hunter, I fish the gp a decent amount and pretty much always use my 10 foot 4 weight Helios. I'm a tall guy too, 6'4" and it still makes a ton of difference. If you plan on fishing bigger rivers with indicators like the Deleware, Yough, North Branch, etc a 10 foot 5 is great but might be a little overkill on the gp. That being said I stick with the 4 weight on the bigger rivers too.

Thank you Ryan.I'm going to get a 10' 3 or 4 wt. Now I just have to figure what rod brand I want. I'll get in contact with Teo, at Back water angler after the snow storm.. Thank's again.

Back