Need assistance on new fly line for nymphing

jwatts

jwatts

I recently bought a cabelas Czech nymphing 4wt. 10' rod with a cabelas reel. I'm wondering what's the best fly line I should run on this setup? Thanks for the help.

Is your focus going to be using this as a dedicated Czech/high stick/ tighline nymphing rod or are you looking for a line that will be useful in other applications/situations as well?

'cause if you are going to be mostly Euro ( czech, polish etc)/ highsticking, you wont really use much of the fly line at all, Get a cheap double taper so you can reverse it after a few years.

I cant imagine that any WF or DT won't do just fine. I doubt that a Cortland competition nymph line will serve you any better than a $5 line. High sticking is nothing more than a lob cast. Hell, the line isn't on the water often so it doesn't even matter if the $5 line even floats.

Berkeley Trilene.

Here is my take...

If it is going to be a dedicated set up go with the Rio Nymph line or 000. The main reason is sag between the guides. If you go with a DT or WF you will get some major sag. The sag will cause you problems with always trying to pull the leader back through the guides. Even though my leader set up is close to 20ft, my fly line is at least always in my guides. Usually it is outside of the tip (Just the tip). If you are trying to nymph a seam 20-30 feet away, which is normal, that DT or WF will sag outside of the tip and you won't have a direct connection to the flies. It will want to fall directly below the tip of the rod, where a lighter line will basically be in direct connection with your leader. Another benefit is the feel in your hands. The smaller diameter line you will be able to handle better.

The Rio Nymph can be flipped just as the DT. I have used mine for 2 seasons and just flipped it. I will probably get at least another season maybe 2 on it.

Btw, how I nymph, mostly upstream, my first cast the fly line is almost always on the water. Slowly stripping it in to get that direct connection with the flies.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Not to get off-topic, but why not just run a level shooting line or the cheapest 2wt DT line you can find? Does the Rio Euro Nymph line really offer any advantage? It seems like a very light DT line anyway.

Kev,

I have never tried those applications so I really can't comment. Maybe someone else can chime in. I have used normal fly lines at like a 3 or 4wt and it is a complete pain in the arse. A close friend and my cousin have started to nymph they way we are talking and I have watched them completely struggle with normal lines. I give them my set up and it is amazing how effortlessly they pick up the technique and fish! Sag is just a real pain in the arse.

Not to get off-topic, but why not just run a level shooting line or the cheapest 2wt DT line you can find? Does the Rio Euro Nymph line really offer any advantage? It seems like a very light DT line anyway.

For that matter, just use the back end of an old WF line you were gonna pitch anyway.

level line will work just fine

PennKev wrote:

Those Rio Euro Nymph lines have a thinner diameter than even a 1 weight DT or WF line.

Back