Modest Pickerel patterns

I went to see Shannon's Fly Shop in Califon NJ today. Nice place for tying supplies. I enjoyed his help and spent way too much. Its frustrating because I'm starting with nothing and so I need everything it would seem. But if I work at one fly at a time for a run of a half or whole dozen it will be affordable enough. I did not buy a big hackle that he wanted me to buy. Instead I bought smaller packs and he said I'd be back soon for more:). Jim was a really helpful and Patient guy. I hope to go there again.

Baron wrote:
Its been suggested that in a pinch I can use Marker to color-in certain effects like stripes on Deceivers and clousers. In curious how perminent the markings are?

I use them, mostly on foam flies. I've also used them to color feathers, marabou(it's tough to find burnt orange marabou) buck tail and thread. Add stripes and markings for baitfish patterns. Most permanent markers are alcohol based. They won't fade, once they dry. I know yellow permanent markers don't react well with super glue. Here's, basically a fire tiger pattern where I used a florescent green marker to "brighten" up the green material on top, and a fluorescent orange to "brighten" the orange material on the bottom and black to make the stripes. It's been in my pike box for a few years and still hasn't faded.

Attachments

• Fire Tiger Perch.jpg
    Fire Tiger Perch.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 3
Baron wrote:
I can see its really easy to use to much bucktail.

It is. Sometimes even store bought bucktails have too much.

There are couple of potential problems when you do use too much. First, the fly won't sink very far. Secondly, the hair won't have nearly as much movement as a sparsely tied fly. Finally, if you use more under the hook than on top, the fly will fish belly up.

Bob, I saw the sinking problem right off the bat. The deceiver I tied only just submerged itself, a good thing in a very weedy environment, but would have a problem in late winter when there are no weeds and I want to be on the bottom.

JerryC wrote:
Baron wrote:
Its been suggested that in a pinch I can use Marker to color-in certain effects like stripes on Deceivers and clousers. In curious how perminent the markings are?

I use them, mostly on foam flies. I've also used them to color feathers, marabou(it's tough to find burnt orange marabou) buck tail and thread. Add stripes and markings for baitfish patterns. Most permanent markers are alcohol based. They won't fade, once they dry. I know yellow permanent markers don't react well with super glue. Here's, basically a fire tiger pattern where I used a florescent green marker to "brighten" up the green material on top, and a fluorescent orange to "brighten" the orange material on the bottom and black to make the stripes. It's been in my pike box for a few years and still hasn't faded.

Did you fish this version in Shohola?

Baron wrote:
Did you fish this version in Shohola?

No, It's about 8 inches long and tied on a 4/0 Partridge Pike hook. Tied it up for my trips up to Northern Ontario. Perch are one of the primary forage fish in the lake and fire tiger pattern lures work well. I've had a couple of small pike follow it in but no takes on it. The bigger pike in the lake are in deeper water following the schools of cisco around when we go up there.

Today I learned two flies that I used to buy for Crappy, Perch and Gill Fishing. They are the simple Bloodworm and also the Wiggler, both size 8.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 4
Baron wrote:
Young folk........

Looks like that fish caught you using a flyrod handle. Looks like Lake Redman.

If you want to meet up sometime on a Wednesday to hit some pickerel let me know

That would be fun however early season 2021 would be best for Wednesdays. I'm crunched to get my spring sales orders in now. Lets switch to PM.

The perch, crappy and Gills are now in the deeper water. I tied this fly after wrapping the size 4-3x hook with leaded fishing line. I'm hoping it will sink nicely and skim the bottom as I drift across the lake. Loosely based on a dry fly called the Pass Lake Special. Perhaps too much calf hair but white is the most popular now it seems. Its also my 1st attempt at weedless.

Attachments

• IMG_3805.jpeg
    IMG_3805.jpeg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5
Baron: A very good fly for pickerel and many other minnow eaters is the Kreelix. I just started using it this season and have caught smallmouth, largemouth, pickerel, fallfish, channel cats, bluegill, perch and crappie on it. Trout will eat it, too.

It's a very easy tie, too! Here is a tutorial: Youtube tutorial

You can vary the hook size, colors and the size of the dumbbell eyes to fit your needs. In my mind, tied in copper and gold (or olive) it can pass for a crayfish.

Pretty Sharp and looks really good for low light and schmermy colored water. appears like a tinfoil Mudler in need of a haircut. Do you fish it on the bottom? What size are you tying?

Hey you're robbing my joy here, lol. I have put off tying all these years and now I have my eyes on many of the traditional flies, from more natural materials that are steeped in tradition and have enticed me forever. Now you have me making stringy space ships.

This Kreelix looks scary good for the shallow lakes I fish. Always looking to add Pickerel to my catches.

Panfish: #10, 3xl thru #6, 3xl
Bass, Pickerel: #6, 3xl - #2, 3xl

Colors: gold over silver; chartreuse over silver; copper over gold

I recommend tying gold over silver in #6 as that should be a great all around combo. The eyes should be brass dumbbell in a size that gets the sink rate you want. Keep in mind casting heavy flies requires a more open loop.

Honestly, the pattern mattered little this past weekend. It's more about getting the fly in the right spot and having it act the way you want it to act. It should be jiggy and flashy with lots of skirt movement. Sounds like fun, right? ;)

Yes it sounds fun. next time Im out I'll pick up that material and try it out.
I agree with the size but will likely go with #4-3x because I own them.

For winter I may weight this.

Got my kreelix supplies tonight. Wish me luck tying it.

Nice!

I have 10, 8 and 4 and will try them all.

Fly-Swatter Suggested that I might try these Craft Kreelix flies. They were fun to tie but not as easy as they look. One big rule.......Once you pick it up, measure it and cut it don't ever lighten up your grip or the stuff flashes all over the place:-D. Its amazing how often I have to remind myself to address the proportions more. Here are my first efforts, 2 on #8, 3x and 2 on #4 - 90 degree Jig hooks. I like to have red near the gills:

Attachments

• IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 3
Good first efforts.

Your observation on handling the material is true of most fly tying materials. Key skills are: thread tension, material handling, and proportions (incl. relative material size and placement).

I like a bit of red, too. I'm not sure it matters and it's an extra step. however, it's pretty much accepted that if you have confidence in your fly, it catches more fish. That's reason enough to include red at the gill area if you like.

One suggestion: While it's good to not crowd or "rush" the eye, you may want to place the weighted eyes closer to the bend in your jig hook. I learned from tying Barr's Meat Whistle (another very good pattern) how to do this.

I'm sure this won't hinder the fish catching ability of yuor ties, it's just neater. And, it's wise to form good habits early in your learning curve.

Back