Looking for a new Wader/Boot bag

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
I usually throw my boots in a five gallon paint bucket, but the handle busted. I thought I would check into what you guys were using in the way of a combo wader boot bag. Any suggestions or experiences?

Dave

I use a Rubbermaid container and put my boots and waders in that for the trip home and storage. Holds the yuk nicely without getting anything else wet in the car. Not necessarily the most flexible/travel-friendly item in the world, but in this case, I'm all about function over form! Fits well in the trunk of my car.

+ 1 on the rubbermaid container. Its great for driving trips. As Miller mentioned, the rubbermaid container keeps the grit and water from getting all over the trunk of the car and its easy to carry.

+2 on the tote idea. I use a tote I bought at walmart and I keep my wader mat on the bottom and throw my boots and waders on top to keep the back of vehicle relatively clean. It has worked nicely so far. I used to have a truck so it didn't matter but now it does.

Dave,
I have used wader bags from day one, i used to use a Abel wader bag i don't think they are made currently, i always used this bag an kept my boots separate from the muddy dirty boots..why you might ask..because dirt on your waders over time will eventually do in its breathability and also may cause your water proofing to suffer till you clean them an re waterproofthem, I do like the idea of the rubber maid containers though, I now have a Fishpond Yellowstone waderbag as well as that abel wader bag, one bag holds my neoprenes for winter steelheading an trout trips,and the yellowstone holds my breathable stocking foots as well as each will hold on top of the bag chest packs or fishing vests with nets, .Dave if you can i would keep dirty boots separate from your waders if they are stocking foot..just my two cents but it has worked since 95 when i bought my first wading bag.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Hi Dave - I have a couple bags I use, but this one is by far my favorite:

http://txfowlers.com/WADER_BAG_HODGMAN.asp

Mine is green, not camo, but otherwise identical. I really like it because you can keep wet boots on one end, and waders in the other. The main center section holds my vest/pack/wading jacket, and the coated material keeps the dry stuff dry, and the wet and muddy boots away from the waders and dry items.

Lots of storage space for things like sunglasses, spare gear, etc. Mine is like 15 years old, and is holding up well. It also has a built in wader mat to stand on, and a hard plastic plate in the bottom that helps keep it's shape when carrying it.

Price is decent too...

I use Fish Pond's Cimarron Wader/Duffel bag. In addition to having a vented area for waders and boots, it also bag carries my reel case, chest box, vest, pack, rain gear, etc. it is nice to be have ll my gear in one bag. Grb the bag and several rods and I've got everything a need for a day or week on the water.

Big tupperware/rubbermaid with lid

Simms taco bag. It gives me a place to stand when getting changed.http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/headwaters_taco_bag_12.html

Thanks for the ideas. I think I am leaning towards a bag that lets me hold both, but keep them seperated. I know we all have our own way of doing things, but I am getting a little tired of my paint bucket falling over in the truck and then all the stuff in falls out anyway. The bucket ends up be a bit of holder for old cans and stuff while on fishing.

just_jon, you think the Fishpond bag is good for both boots and waders?

HA that Hodgman sounds about right.

I just found this from the Allen Company. Anyone have this?
http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-Separate-Compartments-Waders/dp/B004I8RMOC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

I turn my waders inside out for the ride home. My wading boots are set on piece of carpet to keep the trunk clean. When I get home the inside is usually dry so I turn it right side out and hang I front of the fan. When I am ready to back out I put it in my fishpond cimarron bag.

Rick

I turn my waders inside out for the ride home. My wading boots are set on piece of carpet to keep the trunk clean. When I get home the inside is usually dry so I turn it right side out and hang I front of the fan. When I am ready to back out I put it in my fishpond cimarron bag.

Rick

****s sportig goods has a real ice wader bag they sell. Its their i house brand (field and stream) I just bought my father one. its got separate compartments and also has a fold out wader change mat. It was 39.98 but I believe they are 10 off that this week.

Dkile,

The fish pond bag will not keep your boots and waders separated, but the mesh compartment is large enough for me to store my boods, waders and hippers.

Just_jon

+1 on the Simms taco bag. Place to stand when changing and mesh ventilation to allow things to dry on the way home. Won't keep boots and waders separate, but does keep all the mud out of your trunk. Good deal for $30 IMO.

Another vote for the Simms Taco Bag.

Well I was at Penns Creek on Friday and stopped in at the Feathered Hook Fly Shop. I was waiting a little time to meet up Maurice and Stevie-B so took my time going through the shop. Jonas had the Fishpond Pawnee Gear Bag to hold, look at and then of course purchase. Looked good, more expensive than I wanted, but like to support local when I can so I picked it up. Just glad I didn't need a new rod that day, too.

I do need to get another one simliar to this for Greg, but will try to get something on the modest price side at ****'s or better yet pass on my five gallon bucket to my son like a good father should.

Back