List of streams being considered for wild trout designation

Jack, If you read the Trout Management Plan it specifically says that it is the policy of PFBC to not stock wild trout streams, generally it isn't done on streams being added, because many are small, but in some cases, specifically Babb Creek, PFBC doesn't stock it, but it is allowed to be stocked by yahoos of 2 Co-op nurseries. And it has caused a severe decline in the population of wild trout. I believe at the point when I first fish Babb Creek it was Class A with no stocked fish. that is no longer the case.
Also I know of a couple of places that we're stocked that are now stocked and the Class A populations have also declined, Specifically Willow Creek in Berks County and 1 other creek that I won't mention. The wild brookies in Willow Creek are simply gone, they disappeared within a year of stocking another section upstream of the Class A section. The second stream was stocked for a few years and probably ws impacted by a mining event of some sort so that's why I'm not naming it, but the wild fish are completely gone from sections that held them before the stocking. It's not a perfect system and for the most part it works, but wild streams are put at risk by a number of reasons when they are stocked. Most of it is increased exposure to harvest. In the case of Willow Creek I'm not sure, but the only fish left in it are sub-legal fish.

edit: For those who want the specifics of Wild Trout Management it begins on page 25 of this document. http://fishandboat.com/pafish/trout/trout_plan/troutplan2010.pdf

Chaz, I thought Babb experienced some kind of pollution event in the last dozen years. Anyhow, my point of citing the regulations was to point out that private stocking is permissible except in certain waters, some of which are mysterious waters under "wild trout management," whatever that means.

Jack, Wild Trout Management is defined in the Trout Management Plan. IMHO, if PFBC isn't stocking over wild trout, then why are
co-ops allowed to do it. IT is encouraged by some WCO's, and that makes it ok?

That's sweet that the stream in my profile pic is being regarded for wild trout, who would have thunk it?? It's been a hidden gem for years

Chaz wrote:
Jack, Wild Trout Management is defined in the Trout Management Plan. IMHO, if PFBC isn't stocking over wild trout, then why are
co-ops allowed to do it. IT is encouraged by some WCO's, and that makes it ok?

The co-ops have to stock where PFBC tells them and it must be publicly accessible. But private interests, purchasing their own stock can plant Brook, Brown, Rainbow, Golden Rainbow, Tigers and Albinos anywhere not otherwise prohibited.

Jack, to my knowledge there haven't been any incidents on Babb Creek in a while. It's been treated since about '92, and was pretty successful too. But somewhere around '07 the wild trout just disappeared, and at bout the same time the stocked trout appeared. As for Co-ops they do put them anywhere they please.

§ 71.5. Improper stocking of Commission fish.
In stocking fish reared or salvaged by the Commission or a cooperative nursery recognized by the Commission, the following acts are prohibited:

(1) Failure to stock fish in waters designated by Commission personnel.

(2) Diversion of fish to be stocked to waters not open or accessible to free public fishing.

(3) Mishandling or misuse of fish being stocked in a manner so as to damage or destroy the fish.

Quote all you want to quote Jack, co-ops can and do put fish in anywhere they please regardless of whether or not they are ATW or not. I've found brookies that were clearly stocked fish in some very weird places. You can't tell me it isn't happening. The co-ops that do it should lose their permits.

It is illegal is all I'm saying. Laws are broken all the time. If you know of it, you should report it to a WCO.

Mike, I am disappointed you have not told us what "wild trout management" means in the regs. You are always praised for being helpful and authoritative, but then you disappear when this kind of direct question is asked. Please help me out here.

Back