Jig Hooks and Nymphs

D

DavidFin

This year I was introduced to Jig Hooks with Slotted beads that present themselves with the point upward rather than downward, which snag much less than standard hooks. However, I've also since encountered a few people who insist using these hooks is "cheating."

I guess these hooks may or may not have been popularized through competition anglers, who certainly have their own following of opinions, but these hooks make sense to me, especially in smaller freestones.

I'm curious of your opinions.

People use fish sculls, lead barbells, whatever. I personally don't see that much of a difference. Do what you want to do, not what others think you should do.

there are all kind of eye configurations on hooks. Why should a jig eye be "cheating". Clousers are tied to keep hook riding up and I don't think anyone thinks of those as cheating

You need to start hanging around cooler people who have better things to do than worry about the shape of fly/jig/lure hooks.

Tell me about it. There aren't too many people around me who fly fish on the regular.

One fisherman's cheat is one less snag I deal with.

40+ years ago we used to pinch split shot behind the eye of a 4x streamer hook and tie a "secret" body and wing - we cleaned house on stocked trout with that thing. We used it on FFO waters so it must be a fly! quit using it after a few years - probably should try a few now that it's in vogue.

I have adjusted and come up with a couple variations of multiple patterns to conform to jig style hooks. Quite personally I love them and find them to be every bit a fly as any others.

I wouldn't worry about the "cheating" part. Jig hooks / slotted beads work well.

BTW, one can achieve the same effect (inverting the hook) with a bead and some lead wraps on a curved shank hook like a scud hook.

most of those others that tell you are cheating are probably tying flies that flip because they tie them with wrong materials to get a balanced fly

Is it by any chance, that these people who insist that you are "cheating" aren't catching as many fish as you? Probably because they a too busy rerigging.

I like them, even without the bead.

BTW, a lot of nymphs tied on down turned eyes will ride point up as well. The jig bend is just a little more positive IMHO.

In NV on the Truckee, the hot PMD nymph was a size 16 jig hook, orange thread, wood duck flank tail, and a tapered hares' ear dubbing body (no weight). It works pretty well out here as well.

I bought 500 each in #16 and #14, standard shank wide gap. I'll report back in a few years, maybe more than a few. Also, if anyone has tried the Saber jig hooks from the Flyshack, please report or send me a pm.

jig hooks are great for fishing stonefly nymphs hard on the bottom. my simple stonefly nymph is just a jig hook, black bead, black hares ear, silver wire rib and two black goose biots for the tail.

with the wing tied on the underside of the shank, they are also good for streamers as they don't hook bottom.

I actually tye my sparse flats clousers for stripers on jig hooks with bead chain barbell eyes. it enables me to tye very sparse and slender but still have the hook up over weed & gravel etc. deadly.

I don't ever recall a fish being deep or gut hooked, which is a benefit let alone any claims of cheating...

cheers

Mark.

Back