It aint nothing but a strike indicator

So im trying to figure out how a swivel is more beneficial? Here is how i do my dual nymphing rigs.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1
The swivel is just an easy connection point between a fairly heavy butt and a rather light mid section. Swivels also help negate twist when compared to a tippet ring. If you've ever tried to tie 20lb test to 3x you'd understand why the swivel or tippet ring makes things easier. Personally, I don't use them because I'm doing fine with the tippet rings, but they seem like good substitute for the rings or if you have twist issues.

Kev

krayfish wrote:
Ok. I think my butt section is 24# amnesia that's 6' long. For shoppers, used old 3wt fly line. That could be the issue.

I connected the butt via big tippet ring. Went straight to 3x fluoro and had come big tungsten beaded nymphs on the line. The twist was in the 3x leading to the first fly. It was twisted like I falsed casted a #8 coffin fly for an hour.....on 7x.

The stops might have kept indi from spinning. Going from 24# right to 3x might have also contributed. I'll try bigger scraps of line to make stoppers, taper down from butt section, stiffer / slightly shorter butt section and might try micro swivel in place of tippet ring. One or all should correct the issue.

Yea going from 24# to 3x can cause some problems that why I use a mid section, an in betweener that still sinks well like 10-12 lb flouro. Then the swivel, like I said tippet rings suck in bigger water with multi fly rigs
The fly line stopper thing is beyond my effort level...or maybe I don't like and suck at nail knots. If you wanna peg the bobber just use a toothpick, it's a lil loose at first but swells up when it gets wet (jokes?) there's other tricks with rubber bands etc. I don't mind the bobber kinkage too much and usually forget to put on the bobber before the swivel

fisherboy3 wrote:
No one else uses yarn?? I hate thingamabobbers. In bigger water theyre OK but in small water they can scare fish and I've seen it. Good floating yarn like the new zealand indicator kit really is a great deal. Light when you cast, and if you get tangled with the indicator you can just pop it right off. I've had many tangles with the bobber that made me just snip it off.-Kev

I've been trying difference indicators and thingas still seem to give the best bang for buck as far as size to floatage. I don't have a problem with them twisting, and yarn seems like it would be more wind resistant.

I personally use a small bit of Indi yarn, or egg yarn tied into my leader for a indicator. I find it works the best on streams fished alot, or with smart fish. I use a very small amount, or just coat part of my leader in biostrike, just to make it flight and slightly visible on the water.

Back