Indicator vs Euro Nymphing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
A short video showing the pros and cons of fishing with an indicator vs tight-line nymphing without and indicator.

I fish tight-line methods 90% of the time and use indicators only when needing to fish at greater distances for the most part.

On flat clear water at distance I put floatant on my sighter as my "indicator".

You can also us a slinky for this purpose for better visibility.

Informative video>

I use plain old "egg" yarn in different colors treated in advance with Water Shed as both a sighter and a strike indicator.

I don't bother to make up yarn indicators but instead, cut off a short piece and affix it to my leader using a variation of the Open Loop or Two Loop Method of attaching a yarn indicator. My way is slightly different and easier than what I’ve seen posted on the Web, doesn’t kink the leader and is easily removed.

If I am using it as an indicator, it lands softly and because I have it in florescent yellow, orange & black (yes, black) I can work around situations where water glare or sunlight effect visibility, also a plus when using it as a sighter.

If I use it as a sighter, because of the way I attach it, I can put it anywhere on my leader including on the butt portion of any leader, including furled. Sometimes I use it as both an indicator or a sighter depending on where it is placed on my leader. If you keep it small, it isn't overly wind resistant so casting is essentially unaffected no matter how you use it.

I choose the method depending on the situation. On smaller waters, approaching a deeper run from the side is often a disadvantage and spooks fish or is impossible so I tend to cast directly upstream. At places like that, I also am fishing shorter rods and a high rod tip is often problematic or limits the distances you can cover. This is when I find an indicator an advantage.

In the “what's old is new" department, I also fish Tenkara style using level lines, which in my case is nothing more than a fixed length of florescent fluorocarbon fishing line with a tippet ring on the end. In Tenkara, the entire line becomes the sighter and the long rod & reach make it a VERY effective way to nymph.

Back when I first started fly fishing in the 1980’s, I also used to tie my own leaders using Golden Stren as the butt section. I may go back to doing that with 3X which seems to be the size tippet material I often tie in below the tippet ring on my furled leaders.

Interesting video, thanks!

^ Good stuff.

Instead of using a conventional sighter for Euro nymphing I often use strike putty to "color up" the end of my leader at and above my tippet knot (24-30") to use as my sighter.

The strike putty is very visible and works well as a sighter.

I also can grease up the SP with floatant, and use it as an "indicator" to fish skinny, clear water when fishing smaller nymphs or wets.

In addition, I can easily remove the strike putty and switch over to dry fly fishing without changes leaders when a spinner fall or hatch pops up.

There are many ways to catch fish, so don't be afraid to experiment with rigs and flies and techniques.

OT but Strike Putty (in all three colors) is an excellent way to fish midge pupa or other really tiny offerings inches below the surface. I use a piece about the size of a peppercorn around 12" or less above the fly to see the take.

It a lot easier to see than the movement of a floating fine tippet in the shimmer of the water's surface. Considering I tie pupa down to size 32 (Tiemco), every little advantage helps.

It also makes a TINY splash that helps to get an idea where your fly landed, which helps if you lose sight of it.

BTW, I also discovered that elongating that peppercorn sized blob into a longer cylinder provides better adhesion on the tippet, making placement on a knot, not as necessary to prevent slippage. It's also easier to see.

Since I am an admitted very beginner nymph fisherman, I ought to have some useful information for the board within the next two months.

Both times that I have exclusively fished with indicator nymph fishing were on the Frying Pan River upstream from Basalt, Colorado. I caught trout with the help from a professional guide.

I will be there next month with the goal of learning euro nymphing with a professional guide or two. Stream report to follow.

And then there is non-indicator, non-Euro nymphing.

They missed that type of nymping. And it's what everyone used to do.

troutbert wrote:

I'm not very good at that. As much as my flies drag, it's more likely swingin' wets!

Yea that what Ano and Toivo taught me back in the mid-1970s up in the UP of Michigan.

Back