How important is the reel?

Forgetting everything else, if there's anything you should get out of this thread is don't buy a particular reel just because someone said it was a good reel. Take your rod and see if the store will allow you to load up line on a couple different reels and cast them to see which one feels best to you. That's the reel you should get.

Ok my two cents. Trout reels are devices that let you have the line out of the way in one place instead of in your pocket or tangled up all over the place. Trout reels do not need a drag , marketing makes you think they do. When you get in fresh water fish of ten pounds or greater then you need a drag and put them on the reel so said drag can do its job. If you drag is good and will stand up to heat,water and still aply the same amount of force it realy doesnt matter who's name is on it. I like Orvis because their customer service is second to none. I have caught BIG FISH on lesser reels and lived to tell about it. Name brands are just that, some ones name on a reel with millions of dollars of marketing making you think they are the cats meow. We all have our favorites usualy based off of success and no issues with the product. Most reels are made the same way today as everyone has the same machining equipment. Is Hardy better than a Cortland? Is Loop better than Tibor? Only you can answer that question. My humble opinion of course.

The reel unless smallmouth bass fishing or stealhead you do not need a good drag system in PA. Spending much over $50 on a reel is stupid for PA trout fishing unless you are fishing very large water or catching other species of fish. There's lots of other things to spend money on to improve your fly fishing in PA.

Back