Hiking socks

jayL

This isn't a fishing question really, but the answers would be helpful to the non-wading hiking fisherman.

I'm going on an easy two night 12 mile hike next weekend, and have a question about the socks I should use.

I have a thigh high pair of thick wool wading socks for their warm when wet factor. They don't keep my feet very warm, but with boot foot waders, not much will. They keep me comfortable enough to fish.

I was going to wear them on my hike next weekend, but am having second thoughts about that. What kind of socks would you recommend for a winter hike? I'm wondering what kind of synthetics there are. I don't think cotton is any good, is it?

Anything that provides cushion and wicks moisture. I have a friend who wears nothing but wool. I hate wool. But I do find a thin wicking layer under a thick soft layer works best for me.

jay,

A lot of what has been said in the staying warmer topic applies here. You just won't need to dress as warmly since you'll be more active than a typical day of fishing.

You should generate plenty of heat while hiking. Therefore, I wouldn't use the wader socks since they may make your legs too warm while hiking and you won't be able to take off that layer.

Here's a good link to some additional information for winter hiking.
http://www.sierrapotomac.org/W_Needham/Cold_Weather_Hiking_09_21_03.htm

Have fun!

I used to do a lot of winter hiking on the AT, including a 40 miler in Shenandoah during Feb. I used thin silk or poly liners under a synthetic outer sock. I used insulated boots with Goretex or other breathable material. If you don't have breathable boots the liner socks or a good wicking sock (if you only go one layer) are more important. Wool makes me itch so I don't often wear wool.

BTW make sure when you settle on socks that your boots aren't too tight. Nothing makes your feet cold like cutting down the circulation.

tabasco_joe wrote:
I used to do a lot of winter hiking on the AT, including a 40 miler in Shenandoah during Feb. I used thin silk or poly liners under a synthetic outer sock. I used insulated boots with Goretex or other breathable material. If you don't have breathable boots the liner socks or a good wicking sock (if you only go one layer) are more important. Wool makes me itch so I don't often wear wool.

BTW make sure when you settle on socks that your boots aren't too tight. Nothing makes your feet cold like cutting down the circulation.

Can you mention specific brand names for the wicking, liner socks?

And for the warmer outer sock, what synthetic material is good, and again speficic brands if possible.

I've used Smartwool for the outer, warm sock. And they are great, but EXPENSIVE. If there are synthetics that are as good or better, and not so steep, that would be great.

I tend to lose stuff. So spending $18 for a pair of socks, and then finding that one of the socks has gone missing puts me in a bad mood!

The underliner socks were silk and poly from Cabelas and Campmor. Bought under the store name. If you use underliners make sure they are thin. Outer socks I use are a mix of makers including Fox, Wigwam, Columbia, Cabelas, and others. I do hear good things about the new Under Armor socks. Don't have any myself.

I haven't bought any for a while because I went on a 10 day hunting trip to Montana for Elk where we went in on horseback. So I had to have a full set of fresh socks each day. Still working from that set. I've hunted a lot in zero degree weather and learned keeping your feet warm is a big part of taking the cold.

While I've noticed variances in wear from material to material for light duty use I don't think the brand is that important. For heavy use I have some with Kevlar in the sole. Riding the horse for many days put a lot of wear on the instep of the socks.

For really cold weather I wear the inner liner. For moderately cold I wear a thicker single pair with the same boots. Wear your boots to Cabelas, EMS, Bass Pro, even ****'s. Try on the socks with the boots and make sure they are not too tight. This is more important than brand or specific material. Do not use any socks with even a small amount of cotton.

My best cold weather hunting boots are one size larger than normal to account for the socks. Those I bought at the cabelas store while trying on various socks and checking the fit. My cold weather boots are always goretex and have some insulation, usually 400 - 600 grams.

I use Cabela's poly/silk liner socks - very thin, inexpensive and work well. I then use a Cabela's midweight hiking socks in merino wool. This combo does not restrict circulation, which as mentioned above, is the death of warm feet. This is worn under RedHead(BassPro) MountainGuide boots w/ 800 gram Thinsulate. The boots are 1/2 size larger than my normal size to further improve circulation. If it is really cold, like last Saturday for deer hunting, I use Arctic Shield bbot covers, which are for sitting in a stand only. If this is not warm enough, I stay home.

Poly and wool. Did a fair amount of hiking both summer and winter--always wore this combo with no problems.

Try your local military surplus store for polypropylene liner socks and heavy weight 75% or higher wool socks. If you can't find an appropriate liner sock, both all-polyester and all-nylon "dress" socks will work as neither material absorbs moisture. At the Dollar General or other junk-department stores, you can get three-packs of polyester socks for a few dollars. Put these on first, then put the military surplus wool socks over top. Best cheapest combo I've found yet.

I've purchased the polypro longjohns from this group before and the sale was pleasant and secure:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/military-socks.htm

I vote for silk thigh highs - they'll will make you feel sexy even when you're sweaty and tired!

David,

I'm sharing a tent with two other guys. Not too sure that would be a good thing.

:lol:

I'll tell my future outdoorsy girlfriend about them, assuming I find one that isn't a freaking granola eating peta member. I've been close, but haven't found one I could stand yet.

Thanks guys.

My buddy picked me up some good wool socks. I'm going to try the synthetic dress socks idea for a liner.

I think I'm going to save the knee high wading socks for sleeping.

Goddamn, it's going to be cold.

I'm going to pack a few pair of clothes, some food, basic survival stuff, and a nalgene full of jameson. This is going to be fun.

Go with wool. But, make sure they're really wool. I know this discussion has been raised on different forums, just because it says wool doesn't mean it's 100 percent. Just something to think about.

Even with long cotton I like to wear two pairs.

Wool hasn't been great this year for me, tends to become scratchy and also slides down into my waders/boots.

Back