Getting ready to go all in....

robkonowitch

It appears that the more I read about fly fishing, the less I realize I know.

I nymph mostly and not well, but do catch by swinging nymphs and streamers. Aside from reading this time of year, going out winter fishing for practice and listening to podcasts, what should I focus on?

Reading,Podcasts, and time on the water (weather permitting). Sounds like you got it covered, I'd squeeze some tying in there somewhere if that's of interest to you.

I'm still fishing, weather permitting. I fished Friday, sat at the vice today, and am planning to fish tomorrow.

There is no substitute for time on the water. I'd recommend the book "Dynamic Nymphing" then try to apply something each time you're on the water. You could try fishing with someone else or talking with someone you meet on the stream, try a guided trip for some one on one instruction (you may get an off season discount), or check out your local fly shop for tying or technique classes.
Another suggestion would be to read up on the hatches for your local streams so you can get a handle on the macro life.

Time on the bench like time on the water will improve the skills. , theres lots of knowledge on the web (YouTube) on fly tying that I have found immensely helpful. If you saw my first flies when I started tying , you would have kindly ask me to find a new hobby.

Robkonowitch, are you having trouble with a particular aspect of tying?

I'll echo Brookiechaser on the book and guide recommendation. My only regret with the guided trip I had last summer was not having done it sooner.

gfen wrote:
robkonowitch wrote:
what should I focus on?

not over thinking it.

Agreed. Just fish.

In the greater Harrisburg area you are lucky to have streams within striking distance where you can learn a thing or two this time of year. There are a lot of people here that will introduce you to the world renowned limestone spring creeks of PA. I would suggest picking up Mike Hecks book "Spring Creek Strategis", read it from front to back a couple of times, then engage Mike for a half or full day guide of your local streams. Mike is a really great guy (Orvis endorsed and all if that matters to you) and I can assure you that you will learn more with him in a day than many days on your own. And with a full day he will take you to an awesome pizza shop. So there is that.

Edit: And should you choose to fish with a guide or any member of this forum, simply be honest with your skill set. To me there is nothing more annoying than a beginner know it all that I take out to a stream who refuses to learn. I can't even imagine how painful it is to a paid guide.

Thank you to all. For me, it is over thinking and not focusing on having fun.

As for tying, I guess it is more or less that I need to practice and retain what I have learned. That comes with having time to tie and relax.

gfen wrote:
robkonowitch wrote:
what should I focus on?

not over thinking it.

^ this. and i will add don't get caught up in how things 'should' be done. If you are catching fish and having fun then you are doing it right.

As long as your heading doesn't refer to you getting soaking wet....
This time of the year I would focus on enjoying nature and hopefully catching a small number of trout.

Back