Flying ants

Harry3

I skimmed off probably a hundred small flying ants on my pool this morning when I took a dip after my morning run. So I guess that would be a good fly to use at this time of year. I recently tied up a batch, now I just need to use them. Water getting too warm again.

They are trout candy. GG

I took my son to a county fair right near the Battenkill last night, and the parking lot was covered with flying ants at sunset. Tiny, tiny. It seemed like tricos with the wings snipped would work.

I've heard that's an amazing "hatch" on the Battenkill, but my chances of getting there (or finding the water cold) are low this week.

I skimmed off probably a hundred small flying ants on my pool this morning when I took a dip after my morning run. So I guess that would be a good fly to use at this time of year. I recently tied up a batch, now I just need to use them. Water getting too warm again.
We have been seeing these on our pool every day since late June. Worth a try if you can find water cool enough to fish for trout.

I had a few earlier but this past week is very prolific. I used the hand skimmer for about 50 or 50 but the skimmer basket had hundreds. Last year we had some bats and maybe they were eating a lot of them. We got rid of the bats, so maybe that's why I'm seeing so many more.

It's a regular occurrence and quite reliable. On my phone as a reminder for 8/20 every year. You will see big numbers on the water within a week of that and it lasts for 7 to 10 days as a general rule
Interesting. Thanks.
I've long held to the belief that I should have some winged ant flies in late summer and early fall.

We have been seeing these on our pool every day since late June. Worth a try if you can find water cool enough to fish for trout.
The flying ants we see in late June and July are bigger ( around a 16) than the size 20's that we are seeing now

Back