Fly Tying Prince Nymph and Step-By-Step

gaeronf

gaeronf

The Prince Nymph is a great nymph pattern, but whether it is an attractor or an imitator is debated. Many say it is fairly reminiscent of a stonefly. A little history of the pattern; it was originally created by Doug Prince in 1941, in Moneterey CA.This pattern typically features a brown hackle at the head, but the way I tie it, I use partridge. It gives it much more movement in the water. The original version of this fly was also said to have the wings (white biots) in the upward position, something very uncommon today. The peacock herl body is extremely fragile, so twisting the herl into a rope before wrapping, and counter ribbing the wire drastically increases the durability. Many variations can be made to this fly. People add larger ribbings, many different color bead heads, tungsten bead heads, flash backs, and even ice dubbing bodies. The possibilities are endless, but this is how I tie it.

Recipe (Materials are listed in order in which they are tied in):
Hook-Standard, 1x, or 2x long nymph hook
Weight-Lead Wire
Thread-Rusty Brown 6/0 or 8/0
Tail-Pair of Brown Goose Biots
Rib-Gold Wire
Abdomen-3-4 Strands of Peacock Herl
Legs-Partridge
Wings-White Goose Biots

P1020175.JPG

If you are compelled to view the step by step you can see it here.

The feeling hit me as well, you did a fine job. Nice looking fly G.

Gaeron,

Yes, very nice.

As you mentioned, peacock herl is very fragile. I twist the herl on the thread, sort of like you do with dubbing, and wind the rope on to form the body. This helps make it more durable, but ribbing should always be added to keep it together. I use the same technique when a pheasant tail fiber body for a PT nymph.

Again, very nice.

Sweet SBS!!, Thanks for sharing.

JH

afishinado wrote:
Gaeron,

Yes, very nice.

As you mentioned, peacock herl is very fragile. I twist the herl on the thread, sort of like you do with dubbing, and wind the rope on to form the body. This helps make it more durable, but ribbing should always be added to keep it together. I use the same technique when a pheasant tail fiber body for a PT nymph.

Again, very nice.

First off, thanks. Regarding twisting the material around the thread: I myself don't typically do that, but I probably should. The way I take it, once you bind the herl and thread, it forms a sort of chenille, making it a lot more durable. But like I said, never got into the habit. Now that you say it, I'll try and do that more (if I remember). But I also agree that you should have the ribbing regardless. Thanks again for the compliment!

...And thanks everyone else. I'm glad it was beneficial (at least I hope it was).

I like the simplicity and will have to try this one.

Back