Fly Swaps 101

WWKimba

WWKimba

I'm reviving the fly swap here at PAFF. Some of you may be new to swaps. First, swaps ARE NOT just for a select few. In fact, all my swaps are open to all experience tyers - I've had tyers that just bought their first tying kit a couple weeks before registering for their first swap.

You need only 5 things to be in a swap and here they are - your flies (I know- DUH!), toe tags for each fly, a swap box, a SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope), and a sending envelope. It's that easy! Here's a little more detail on each item:

Your flies - All fly swaps will have a theme and your pattern choice needs to meet that theme. For example, you would not tie a streamer pattern if the swap theme is Early Season Dry Patterns (a March Brown pattern would be more appropriate in this case). The number of lies you'd tie will be determined by the total number of members in that swap. Most swaps will be open to 6 to 12 swappers. For a swap that has 10 members you'll tie 10 flies of the one pattern you chose. These will be mailed in to the host of the swap and you'll get a pattern tied by each of the other swappers - you send 10 of one pattern and get bac 10 different patterns in return. If you need help choosing a pattern, check in with the swap's host - that's why they are there! Also, and this is not a rule but a courtesy, tie your flies on either de-barbed hooks or barbless hooks - for people who cast like me it saves on the piercings:oops:!

Toe tags - These help identify your pattern as well as the tyer of that pattern. Tags can be paper, 2 MM foam or card stock. You simply hook your fly onto the tag to ID it. As I mentioned the MINIMAL information needed on your tag is your screen name and the pattern that you tied. Other information I've seen includes the tyers real world name/address (both snail and E-mail)/phone number (these are usually tying pros starting their business), the name/date/site the swap was offered on (usually someone who fell in love with swaps and is a regular joiner), and the name of the pattern's originator. Tags can be printed or handwritten - I like to print mine using a bold #10 font, but that's me). Here's a helpful hint if you use paper for your ties - remember that your flies should be on a hook without a barb - and this means that the tags can fall off the hook. Here's how to avoid this AND look like an old pro - when I print my tags, I leave about 20 empty spaces at one end and fold that over WITH THE SHORT FOLDED END ON TOP, then stick the point through both thicknesses of the paper and then open the fold a bit to form a hinge. This hinge will lock your hook onto the paper.

Swap Box - Is a plastic or metal box to hold and protect your flies in the mail. Two words - Altoids tin! In my 11 years of hosting at least 1/3rd of all the swap boxes have been Altoids tins - they are a good size and they are free! I like to use a small plastic box I get from a hobby shop (Item #39184 Super Stacker, 3 pack Bitty Box (FYI). The one important thing is that you need to AT LEAST have your screen name on your box - you'll instantly make friends with any swap host! Remember all those Altoids tins and now think of them WITHOUT names!

SASE - You'll want your set of flies returned to you! Envelopes are normally manilla-style and can be padded or not (your swap box will protect your flies). Also, make sure that the envelope is large enough to comfortably hold your swap box on its return trip to you. To figure postage you can do 1 of 2 things. First, you can go to this site - and use this tool's 4 simple steps. On the first page enter your ZIP and the host's ZIP (all hosts will share their address with you after you register for the swap) and click on the 4th box, you'll be taken to a 2nd page where you'll enter the weight of your return package - the flies, swap box and SASE. For almost any freshwater swap you can safely just enter 3.6 oz. to get the proper postage rate and click the 2nd (Large Envelope) box. On this box click on the 4th box and the next page will show your postage needed. Go to the bottom of the page and look at 'First Class" for your rate. OR, you can simply bring your package UNSEALED to the post office window and have them weigh it, add that postage to your SASE, put the flies with the tags in the swap box and your SASE in your sending envelope, seal, and mail. A great way to help out your host - add your screen name under your real world name on your envelope, we use your screen name to cross reference to tie all your items together - again, you'll look like an old pro!

Sending envelope - Just as it sounds, this is how you get everything to your swap host. A couple helpful hints - the postage on your SASE will equal your sending postage (the envelope size/weight will NOT make a difference AND include your screen name within your mailing address to help out your hard working host! Also. both the SASE and your sending envelopes can be the same size - just fold the SASE. Lastly, if you get busy with work and family issues, prepare your envelope early and place the flies due by date either on the inside of the flap or where the postage will go as a reminder.

I hope this helps you out. Why so long? Well, when I learned how to teach I was told that you 1) Tell your students then 2) Tell them you told them and 3) tell them what you told them. Oh, and one more thing - the ONLY dumb question is the UNasked one - so feel free to contact me via PM if you have any questions. I'll be happy to help you out.

Kim

Back