Fishing Glasses

easternfly

easternfly

I need new and better fishing glasses. Does anyone have a recommendation? I fish rivers and ponds.

Kevin

Purchased a pair of Smith ChromaPop glasses a month or so ago. Freaking amazing! If you are willing to spend the dough I highly recommend them.

Costa's are the best. Worth the investment. someone has a pair for literally half the price in the classifieds.

I have 2 pair of Smith Optics "Lochsa" glasses, 1 pair with copper and 1 pair with brown lenses with 2.5 magnification bifocal. I like them very much. My eyes started changing a few years. My distance vision fine but I need the bifocals for anything at reading distance. Lots of choices and price ranges. Good luck.

I've always worn cheapies. Not $5 cheap. But $20-$30 cheap. I now splurged on a pair of Costas. Green mirror, amber base color.

Yes, the polarization is better in the Costas. $200 better? Probably not. And mine are glass, I'm not sure if the plastic versions would have as much of an advantage.

Whatever you get, make sure they are polarized, obviously. And generally, an amber color is best for fish spotting in freshwater PA environments.

I have Costa Del Mars and Maui Jims. My Costas are for bright sun and big water (blue mirror, grey lens, glass). Maui's are amber with polycarbonate lenses and super light frames.

You will use lighter, amber lenses more on trout water. There's usually some cover, and you'll be fishing early and late. Grey, dark lenses aren't great in these situations. Amber is also better for spotting fish. HOWEVER, color blocking/enhancing lenses are best for fish spotting, whatever the tint (Smith Optics excels here, although Costa 580s block color noise and enhance contrast, and Maui's also enhance contrast and boost color).

Glass is better than poly w/respect to clarity and uniformity. However, I wear poly when trout fishing. It's lighter for all day wear, which is hugely important when hiking into the woods. They also won't break when you hit them with a clouser.

IE http://www.mauijim.com/shop/en/us/lighthouse
in HCL bronze for all light conditions, Maui HT for low light/overcast/heavy cover (ie. bookie fishing shades). Super light, you will forget they're on, and great for driving.

Back