Fishing glasses? Any Suggestions.

P

Panchon74

Am looking for a good pair of polerized fishing glasses. Any suggestions as to what the best are or best for the money? Any info is welcomed.

Mario

I've been using Renegade brand from StuffMart. They have much better lenses than most cheap polarized glasses, and for $15 I don't get upset if something happens to them.

I am usually a $10 sunglass guy.- still recommend that route highly, since smashing,scratching,crushing and losing them are real possiblitites for me each time out.

However; I recently was talked into a $49 pair of Sunclouds. They are a division of Smith glasses and the Sunclouds have a lifetime warranty.

1 question? The glasses that you guys are talking about good for any condition? If they are i will be checking them out. So fare I was looking at the Costa del Mar wich are $150 and can go as high as $300 + for the new models.

After staring at sticks and rocks, underwater, that I was SURE were "huge lurking-sulking trout" with polarized sunglasses for more years than I'll admit to here................. several years ago I "bit the big one" and forked over $49.00 for a pair of "Fitovers". With, case, cleaning cloth, etc.
I've gone the $5-$10-$15 route with sunglasses, but I get tired of "poor quality for the sake of cheap", with any of my fishing gear. I couldn't believe the difference between GOOD quality polarized glasses and "I'll save a few bucks @Wal-Mart brands".
Since I also wear eyeglasses, the Fitovers, brand does what their name implies just fine and then I don't have to buy expensive prescription sunglasses too. I also wear them at times, without my regular glasses and the results are the same.
With them secured around my neck with a "frog chord" I'm into my 3rd year with the pair I have, without loosing them.
I, also, love the "side shields" these glasses have, so I never fight with "side/rear entry glare", from odd angles.
The last time I checked, they came in "dark (green), "amber" and "smoke".
Sorry and MY opinion ONLY............ but if you're looking at "$150.00 for a pair of non-prescription shades" and "willing to go as high as $300.00", I think you're going to pay about 10%......... for what you're after to fish with and the other, 90% for pure "bling".
Like, Graphite and the super high prices on some of today's rods and Polycarbonate, the usual lens material in these sunglasses, "there is only so much a manufacturer can DO, with the materials" and the rest is "name slinging" and "what the market will bear".

I like an amber lens, for all conditions. I think you get what you pay for to a point, but I'll not buy anything over $50 for the streams. I've lost a couple pair and that sucks. I use Bole and love them.

I have had a pair of Costa Del Mars for about 4 years now. They have been through hell but are still goin strong. Mine are the dark colored lenes but i wish I would have gotten a model with changable lenes. I amber lens comes in handy in low light conditions. but besides that they are well worth thier money.

http://oakley.com

Oakley are my choice. Expensive ? Yes. Built to last. I have slept in, dropped, kid thrown and other wise abused. I have three pair and the oldest is going on 7 years.

Oakley. They are the most comfortable sunglasses I've ever worn. I wear them daily. The "wrap" fit also fully protects your eyes, even from the side.

They ran me about $200, but I've had them for four years and they look like new.

Oakley's....... I just got my first pair and i'm hooked no more cheapies for me . If you decide to get a pair buy them from Orvis the ones they sell are made for Fly fishing :-D

Hey guys..after years of fishing with polarized cheap glasses I can tell you it is far better to buy a good pair of glasses with optical grade lens. I have been using either, Costa del Mar, Smith or Maui Jims. I usually wear Amber for spot fishing. With optical grade lens you will see clearer and not get the eye strain associated with cheap lens. As you younger guys age you will know what I am talking about.
Bill

I went with the interchangeable lenses. I will have to admit, I do prefer glass lenses the best. But these are working out fine.

Joe E

I suggest you get a pair of these...

Of course if a deer hits you in the face you'll still look like this but its the best pair of polarized glasses i ever owned...$8 walmart.

They're whyI still have an eyeball.

I have a pair of prescription Action Optics (Smith) for going on 3 + years. Just glad my prescription hasn't changed! Best $250 I have ever spent. Whatever you choose, make sure they wrap around to keep light from coming in the sides. I had a pair of Orvis clip-ons before, but the light coming in the sides really made it difficult to see in the water. I like the amber lenses.

Tomgamber,

Sorry but that is just to funny!

Back