Favorite dry style and why?

im not a cdc fan. idk why, i think prolly cuz the first time i tried to use it i got a bad batch of cdc or somthing. idk it didnt float ill put it that way. however i am a big fan of elk hair so for most of all my mayfly patterns its a wulff with the wings tied in elk hair rather than calf hair. exept for sulfurs in wich i tie a catskill with mallard flank wings, or a sulphur variation of the quigley cripple wich works REALLY well btw. for caddis and grannoms, plain ol' elk hair caddis or a never sink caddis.

im with gfen and osprey. I love the Catskill style dryflies. They are elegant, sit up high on the water, and I just like to tie them.

I never fell in love with the parachute. I feel they are more trouble to tie than they are worth IMO.

For caddis, like i'v said before, the coastal deer hair/ dubbing body. So simple and so effective.

I bought some coastal deer hair from Clousers years ago and still use it in some caddis ties , it grabs a big bubble of air and floats a long time. gfen.......if you can tie a hair wing fly you CAN tie a catskill style bunched wing , wood duck or mallard flank , same thing. It's the waste or what you think is waste that bugs you isn't it?

Yeah, I can pull off rolled wings, but not the pretty little hackle tip jobs.

Still don't bother much. ;)

Fluttering Caddis, I use them like a regular dry or skid them across the water. I only use mink tail guard hairs for the wings, you can use hackle fibers but they don't work as well. Just because it's called a caddis dosn't mean you can't use it to imitate other flys if you tie them in the right size and color. The one in the picture below I tied to imitate the stoneflys that fly around my liveing room on summer evenings.

I've been useing them for years and don't understand how they've been overlooked, I don't know anyone that uses them. Give them a try.

Attachments

• IMG_6953.JPG
    IMG_6953.JPG
    614.7 KB · Views: 2
Back