Dry Dropper Magic: Fly Fishing a Challenging Spring Creek

Dave Rothrock and John Kolb fly fish a small spring creek and have plenty of action for a fun afternoon of fly fishing. The stream is a very challenging stream to fish with super spooky fish and very subtle takes. The stream challenged John and Dave. In the end, they managed to catch a good amount of fish. The dry dropper setup worked really well and a lot of fish were caught with either a sulphur dry fly or a sexy Waltz Worm.

salmo
Dave Rothrock (“Old Lefty”) is a great guide and an altogether nice man. I hope to have the opportunity to fish with him agai.

Nymph-wristed
Odd title for two good fishermen getting their arses handed to them by LB? Odd choice of technique for that particular creek in those conditions too, like they had the title before they hit the water....

DaveKile
Dave Rothrock (“Old Lefty”) is a great guide and an altogether nice man. I hope to have the opportunity to fish with him agai.
I was with Dave last week. I think unfortunately he may be cutting back his guiding.

salmo
Sad if true! I was out with him 25 plus years ago on Fishing Creek. I believe that we ran into Joe Humphries with a client.

TimMurphy
Dear Dave,

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoyed the video. I haven't seriously fished that creek since I was in college at Dear Old State over 40 years ago.

I don't even care that they were catching the equivalent of gemmies. I don't wade well, and it certainly looked like easy enough wading for my fat arse.

Maybe in the Fall I'll hit it up?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back