Daiichi vs. Tiemco

C

CRB

Pros, cons? What are the differences other than tiemco cost more?

I like Daiichi because of the 1100 bigeye dry hooks.

CRB wrote:
Pros, cons? What are the differences other than tiemco cost more?

I like Daiichi because of the 1100 bigeye dry hooks.

Daiichi is my go-to brand now. I remember when they were the more expensive option, but now the Tiemco's are considerably more expensive. The cost does not justify the difference, and it can be argued that the Daiichi are better hooks anyway. I've found a couple minor differences between the brands. The Tiemco's seem to be less likely to bend out in some styles, while the Daiichi seem sharper overall. But again, the difference in quality and characteristics is small and does not justify the cost difference.

My impression is that Tiemcos are just a tad heavier wire gauge with comparable sizes and shapes. That may be why they are stronger.

I also find that some of the regular (not 1xl or 2xl) dry fly hooks the shank is longer in the Tiemco line. Tiemco 20 would be equivalent to Daiichi 18.

I have switched to the Daiichi 1180 for most of my standard dry flies (parachutes and comparaduns).

The reasons include: they are cheaper than Tiemcos, I like the slightly larger hook gap compared to the TMC 100, and my local shop carries them.

My go to dry fly hook is a Daiichi when tying #12-18. #20s and smaller I use Tiemcos.#12XL or bigger I just use Mustads.

I think they are both pretty good. I use daiichi for almost everything except streamers because my local shop carried more daiichis than tmcs.
For dries, I use 1100s, 1280s, 1270s, 1330s and 1130s. For nymphs I use 1120s and 1560s.

For streamers I use tmc 300s. They are extremely sharp and I use them from size 2 to 12 for streamers. They have a 6xl shank, so if you don't like long shanks they aren't for you. I also use tmc 2488hs for midge hooks. For dries 20 and smaller I use tmc 100s.

I think it's hard to go wrong with either tmc or daiichi hooks.

Back