Book Review: Fly Fishing for Striped Bass by Rich Murphy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fly Fishing for Striped Bass
Rich Murphy
Wild River Press, 2007
457pp

The claim that any book is “definitive” has always caused me to dismiss the reviewers glowing claims that inevitably follow – and I’ll not use the term in this review – but Fly Fishing for Striped Bass by Rich Murphy comes close to meeting this ideal. I’ve had the pleasure of chatting with Rich at the Somerset show in the past and marveling at his beautiful and innovative fly patterns. When I asked him if he’d ever caught a tautog on a fly (something I’ve tried to do for years, without any luck) he responded with a tone suggesting that it was downright easy.

Looking at his crab patterns, it doesn’t surprise me that ole Mr Tog would fall for ‘em. Anyway, this book, is simply put, a pleasure to read or just peruse. Replete with color photos on every page, it’s a coffee table book that reads just as well. In its 9 chapters, FFfSB starts with an intriguing chapter that follows the migration of “Sax,” a fictional, fifty pound cow bass on her migration up the coast.

richmurphy.jpg
Other chapters describe the various techniques for flats, rocks, bays, etc as well as Rich’s excellent flies and other gear. Murphy, a driven, rail thin runner and type A angler is highly intelligent and you can sense his intense focus on every page. The book can be difficult to read in a bit too many sections and sometimes it seems that Murphy tries a bit too hard by half to find a sophisticated voice, writing too many passages like this:

We know from Chapter 2 that a major physiological change happens in her eyes at sundown – the color receptors or cones on the surface of her eye’s retina retract and contrast detecting receptors, or rods are deployed in their place. This enhances her capacity to detect subtle changes in the contrast gradient of the water column around her caused by the movement of her prey or predators…My surface night patterns are configured to generate a significant and/or unusual acoustical air/water intersurface rip, and like my subsurface patterns, to develop a long and sinuous horizontal profile to as maximize their silhouette against the night sky.

If you can get past some of this wordy verbiage, however (Tom Pero admits that editing the book was a challenge), there is a tremendous amount of useful information. I particularly found his water temp charts by season to be fascinating. Murphy also covers fly fishing the coast of California for stripers, a region often overlooked in other striped bass fly fishing books. This is a big book and not cheap to buy but I’d highly recommend it, especially if you’re a bit past the stage of beginning striper angler and are looking to learn some more innovative tactics and outside conventional fishing methods.

STONEMAN
What the heck! So I understand some of National's policies may be controversial (Montana stream access for eg.) or to far away or remote to worry about ( Bristol Bay for eg.), but locally TU does a lot of good. Thank goodness for the Fritchey volunteers that shovel limestone into Stoney Creek. And the Falling Springs Chapter who do their best to keep the the cows and chicken poop away.. And the CVTU guys who keep us safe from Letort sinkholes, encourage spawning Letort browns, and vigilantly work on stream restoration, reclaimation and preservation.

Come on..Get involved!

Last edited:
bigslackwater
I am a member and l think TU is a wonderful organization but I understand why some are not joining. I imagine about half the people, who are not members, chose not to join because they simply don't want to pay the fees or receive all the mail. It seems anytime I start a hobby, the solicitors find your name. Some folks are just not interested enough. It's their choice.

The other reason may be politics. Organizations like this tend to lean hard in one direction. I know many on this board are fiscally conservative but also believe in preserving our natural environment. We are a diverse and unique group that doesn't quite fit the us vs. them (pick a side) politics that is mainstream these days. I'm a small business owner and not a member of NFIB. Many business owners are in my area. I don't want my money going to a lobbyist group that pushes hard in one direction that I may not always agree with.

Last edited:
S
Quite frankly Maurice, I view a 50% participation by PAFF members as quite sad. I do not believe people understand the scope of work done by all levels of TU and if not for that work there would be less access and the resource would be in much poorer condition.

I will not accept the "politics of TU National" as a viable reason. As Stoneman indicated, the foundation of TU is local, grassroots Chapters. I am on the board of my Chapter and have no involvement with National. For all practical purposes, National provides an umbrella of liability insurance under which my chapter can make a difference.

Last edited:
SNJChef
I belong to TU, but in my area we lack members for a few reasons.

We have no home stream.

Provide funds to stock stream over an hour away from out locations

Lack of social media for local clubs

Politics within members

TU endless emails, asking for money

Last edited:
Chaz
I believe from my prospective as a member and someone active at the State Council level that T.U. is pretty much a centrist Org. It's probably not perceived that way, but that's my belief from over 20 years being an active member. I say this because the Council is cautious about how they go about doing things both locally and in the Commonwealth as a whole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back