Best Inexpensive Reel?

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

I've had a few really cheap reels. They lasted even less time than I expected, which wasn't much. I just want something that isn't going to turn into a pile of random parts right away.

I seem to have narrowed it down to a Lamson Liquid or an Orvis Battenkill II. I'm confident these are both quality choices. I'd like to hear your thoughts on which you would select, and also double check to make sure I'm not missing any others.

A few questions:

Click or disc drag?

Durability...are you more concerned about durability of function or durability of finish?

What is the price range for the reel?

Either click or drag is ok. I mostly use a click now. I've never felt disappointed with it. Definitely durability of function over finish. I'd like to keep it under $150 but it's not a hard limit. If it made sense to spend a little more I could.

Best inexpensive reel? I've gotten a few $20 ebay reels that are amazing for what I paid. Piscifun makes a great cheap reel, Okuma, MaxCatch are nice but I prefer the Piscifun. Aventik is another good one. Yes they are all foreign Chinese reels BUT their craftsmanship has vastly improved in the last 10 years. They really have their CNC process down pack. The Lamison and Orivis reels are still doubled the price of all of those and for what 99% of people use them for these cheap reels will definitely do the job!

I have several Lamson Liquids. Great reel for the price!

There's a lot of cast reels out there that are mechanically sound but in my experience, the finishes aren't quite as good and tend to get beat up fairly quickly. Machined are considerably more expensive and typically from a solid block of aluminum so the durability of finish is much better especially on the ones that are anodized.

I think you'll be more than happy with a liquid or a remix when it comes to performance. If you wanted something a little more durable, I believe guru is their lowest with the anodized finish. You might even be able to find a guru, velocity or something similar on the auction site close to your budget.

Cast reels worth a look:
Lamson liquid or remix
Echo ion
Orvis Clearwater or battenkill

Machined reels worth a look:
Used lamson guru or velocity
Any used Galvan reel
Orvis hydros
Cabela's RLS 2
If you can find one... Scientific anglers electron

I have an old Hardy from the '80s and it's basically some kind of cast white metal. It's beat to hell but still works fine.

I was getting ready to buy a liquid 3 pack until i watched a YT and discovered they make that clicking sound, i hate that clicking sound. Currently looking at the redington run

:lol: :lol: love some of you guys idea of "cheap" reels. I once used an old Martin 65 for a half dozen years (it had a rom, didn't need a drag) before the click finally went and got a Cabela's Cahill II (with an actual disc drag) for less than 30 bucks and still have it. Got an Okuma for my 3wt. That's a cheap reel for normal people. :-D

If it's the same as the old konic reel, there's a small plastic tab that you can simply break off and it makes it silent

Tom, i have a disc drag machined aluminum reel i bought from Colton Fly when Bob was just starting the business in the mid 00's for like 75 bucks. Its on par with a higher end reel i just lucked into it cheap. But the drag on it is AMAZING.

I have 3/4 and a 5/6, the 56 is my regular reel to this day

The new Orvis Battenkill series is excellent for the price, I think the click-pawl is about $98. They now have a disc drag version as well. I mentored a new flyfisher a couple of years ago and suggested he buy it... and he is still enjoying it.
Mike B

I've been using Battenkill reels from the get go in the sport.
And really think they are a great value for the cost

As for a very basic cheap reel, does anyone know if Cortland still makes the Crown II reel?
I never owned one. But have always heard they were pretty nice

This is a wide open subject as I only fish old old medalists, purchased online, cleaned and re-lined. I only fish Click and Pawl style even though my reals have rudimentary drags. I have others. Have a $98 Orvis Clearwater that I've used once. It does everything it is supposed to do in spades but I find it sterile. I like the oldies. My first fly reels were Martin Caddis Creek for 13$ and they are freaking awesome line holders. I highly recommend them for beginners with no budget. Currently my 4wt wf line is stored on a 1950's Pflueger Progress 1774. This past weekend I caught every thing from large bass to crappie to Gills. I think I had paid 5 or 10 bucks for this reel and probably 10 for the cheap Chinese line that is on it.

I know Chinese made reels might not be the most popular on here (for obvious and I would say legitimate reasons with the most important being a desire to support American made products) but if you're willing to overlook this issue and you want a fully CNC machined reel I would definitely recommend one of the Maxcatch reels i.e. Avid, Toro or Dunn series all of which have a decent drag and the new Minima which is a large arbor click pawl. The Avid, Toro and Minima can all be had for under $100 and the Dunn is around $160 but it def has a more substantial and reliable drag system. I have one of each of these reels (a couple for more than 4 years now) and I can honestly say that they all can compare favorably to my Ross, Hardy and Lamson reels in terms of looks, build quality and and reliability especially when you factor in the obvious cost differential. If money is not a deciding factor I would 100 out of 100 times recommend and endorse our American made reels but for those people who want/need a decent reel to enjoy our incredible and soulful sport but are limited to a more affordable choice the above suggestions just might be the ticket to some great times on the water. I would also point out that many so called American reel companies actually get their reels from the same factories that manufacture the Maxcatch reels and then just rebrand these same reels while charging two or three times the price a practice which I take no issue with as everyone is entitled to run their business as they see fit but it is definitely something to consider. Anyways Tight Lines and God bless to all :)

I recently bought a Lamsen Liquid-5+ 3 pack. Excellent reel. Has
their sealed conical drag like ALL Lamsen reels even the most expensive models. The new reel coating they use makes it more durable than the older ones. I may consider a -3+ in the future. IMO the 3 pack is good value. I can use one reel for two euro nymph rods. Load one spool with euro nymph fly line to use on both rods and load the other two spools with conventional fly line, one for each rod.

Spelled Lamson wrong. Darn it! LOL

A decent drag system, proper weight (lighter is better for graphite, but heavier rods need balanced), and the dang thing being quiet are my major draws for a regular trout reel. I hate the ones that click, I want silence, line coming in, line going out, just shhhhh!

My favorite reel I own is a 3-tand TF series, but they come in a little north of $200. Excellent reel for the price.

Big fan of the Battenkill reels more because I like the way they look than anything. I was recently researching a reel for a small split bamboo rod that I just made and I was intrigued with the LL Bean click-pawl reel, but it's imported from God knows where. I know that's common today, but I sure wish more stuff was made in the states.

+1 for the Battenkill with the pawl drag. 100 frogskins for a well made reel that wont fall apart on you. The drag is good enough for any trout. I own two of them, and they've never failed.

Back