Bass on the fly.... Lots of questions

nomad_archer

Guys I finally committed to do some warm water bass fishing this year. After a bit of semi combat mentored youth trout fishing this morning I am really itching to get out and fish for something that isn't the popular targeted fish at the time. While everyone is thinking trout right now I just saw dave_w's thread and it sounds like it's time for smallies. So. What's next? I have an 8wt with a wf8f bass line so I think I have the rod and line covered at least for now.

What patterns and hook sizes should I tie? Second question is where to go that's Wadeable? I'm? in northern Lancaster county and have never fished for bass on the fly or on this side of the state. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole just some direction.

Thanks in advance,
- nomad

There's a lot to cover and you'll have a blast getting into the WW game. You do indeed have the right rod. You'll want to begin by putting together a bass fly box. This should include lots of big buggy nymphs, Clouser Minnows, crayfish style flies (Wooly Buggers are great for this) and poppers/divers. Bass flies are big and my streamers are usually in the 3-5" range. This seems huge to a trout guy, but bass like a big meal. My bass nymphs are 1-3" long.

During the colder months of the year, I fish almost entirely with streamers, usually Clouser type variations. If you're going to fish river bass this time of year, try doing a bit of exploring around your local rivers and the Susky too. Pre-spawn bass are often close to shore in an eddy with little current. If I just have a short period of time to fish, I'll drop by one of these spots and fish it for a few minutes, usually without wading.

In your exploring, you'll want to identify public access areas, these are often at bridges. PFBC boat ramps are often located in good fishing spots and, despite their heavy public use and fishing pressure, I have often found very good bass fishing right at or close to PFBC boat ramps. You don't need to go find some remote spot.

Frankly, it's easier for a newbie bass guy to catch fish in summertime so plan on doing some bassing on the river this summer when flows are low and you can get out wading or in a small boat.

nomad_archer wrote:
Guys I finally committed to do some warm water bass fishing this year. After a bit of semi combat mentored youth trout fishing this morning I am really itching to get out and fish for something that isn't the popular targeted fish at the time. While everyone is thinking trout right now I just saw dave_w's thread and it sounds like it's time for smallies. So. What's next? I have an 8wt with a wf8f bass line so I think I have the rod and line covered at least for now.

What patterns and hook sizes should I tie? Second question is where to go that's Wadeable? I'm? in northern Lancaster county and have never fished for bass on the fly or on this side of the state. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole just some direction.

Thanks in advance,
- nomad

PFBC online maps are excellent and underutilized.

Check out the Warmwater / Coolwater Map. Zoom in on your county/area. Click on SMB streams (#1 on the upper left menu) and all the SMB streams in the area you are interested are highlighted.

You can zoom in further and use satellite images to find good fishing spots, parking areas, etc. Lotsa good water to explore!

BTW, you are lucky enough to live near one of the greatest SMB fisheries anywhere...the Susky!

Good luck.

Thanks guy's. Looks like I need to tie some clouser's, and big nymphs. Deer hair poppers aren't to far away. What hook sizes and styles do you usually use on clouser's?

Northern Lancaster? I recommend that you go for a two-fer and hit one of two lakes for bass and striped bass/striped bass hybrids, as the prime opportunity for the striped ones to be in the shallows will occur over the next two to three weeks during short periods of cove warm-ups and again in the shallows on the main portions of lakes during the first three weeks of May. The techniques will produce bass and stripers...deceivers, etc. Hit Redman and Blue Marsh. Do not fish cover; they will be on open flats, points, and shallow, featureless backwaters of coves.

There are places to go in Northern Lancaster that are very good for good size largemouth and plentiful smallmouth.
I suggest you send time researching ponds and small lakes in the area. However, in all honesty, the Susquehanna River is going to be your best bet for bass.

Mike wrote:
Northern Lancaster? I recommend that you go for a two-fer and hit one of two lakes for bass and striped bass/striped bass hybrids, as the prime opportunity for the striped ones to be in the shallows will occur over the next two to three weeks during short periods of cove warm-ups and again in the shallows on the main portions of lakes during the first three weeks of May. The techniques will produce bass and stripers...deceivers, etc. Hit Redman and Blue Marsh. Do not fish cover; they will be on open flats, points, and shallow, featureless backwaters of coves.

Thank you Mike. Your are an invaluable asset to this forum. I really appreciated you sharing your wealth of knowledge. I will make it a point to explore some part of blue marsh this Friday weather permitting before heading down explore a different section of the Tully.

One more question how heavy should I go on the leader? I was thinking a 6' leader 8lb - 12lb tippet with a 20lb butt section. Is this even marginally in the right range?

Yep, you're in the ballpark with your leader idea, Trevor. I usually use a little bit longer leader but that is just a personal preference of mine. My bass tippet sections are usually 2X or 3X. You're going to have a lot of fun bassin' this year.

Flies such as clousers and buggers are all the subsurface patterns you need to start chasing bass and foam gurglers should have your top water bases covered. As far as wade-able locations how about the Conestoga or Brandywine. Don't forget about bank fishing from any local lakes or ponds.

jifigz wrote:
Flies such as clousers and buggers are all the subsurface patterns you need to start chasing bass and foam gurglers should have your top water bases covered. As far as wade-able locations how about the Conestoga or Brandywine. Don't forget about bank fishing from any local lakes or ponds.

The 'stoga is certainly on my radar. I just need to put down the trout gear and commit to WW. I think the first bulldog run of the year will have me hooked.

nomad_archer wrote:
Thanks guy's. Looks like I need to tie some clouser's, and big nymphs. Deer hair poppers aren't to far away. What hook sizes and styles do you usually use on clouser's?

For hooks sizes on clouser. I like to find short shank hooks. Mostly circle hooks. I fish anywhere from size 8 threw size 4. I use them for anything that bites. As for poppers I do a cork popper with some hackle and put it on a size 2 hook.

nomad_archer wrote:
One more question how heavy should I go on the leader? I was thinking a 6' leader 8lb - 12lb tippet with a 20lb butt section. Is this even marginally in the right range?

I go much heavier.
I like about a 9' leader with typically a 40lb butt tapered down to 14lb tippet. I rarely fish lighter than this for bass. If you're using a sinking line (which I rarely do) then go shorter on the length but stick with that heavy tippet.

Dave_W wrote:
nomad_archer wrote:

I go much heavier.
I like about a 9' leader with typically a 40lb butt tapered down to 14lb tippet. I rarely fish lighter than this for bass. If you're using a sinking line (which I rarely do) then go shorter on the length but stick with that heavy tippet.

Dave you would mind PM'ing your leader formula. The 6'-8' 20lb to 8lb is what I use when fishing trout streamers. I appreciate the advise.

Nomad_Archer

I'm planning on trying to organize a WW jam here at my place and will be creating a thread sometime in the near future. If you could make it I'm sure that you'd pick up a lot of tips and tricks for smallmouths on the fly.

I will keep an eye out of the Jam and if I can make I surely will. I have decent base of knowledge on bass fishing with spin gear but going after them with the fly creates a new challenge and there is always lots for me to learn.

I fish the North Branch of the Susquehanna. I'm not at all familiar with the main branch but if you have the same White Fly hatch we have up here in late July or early August it can be some of the very best fly fishing there is.

White fly imitations include a White Wulff size 6 or 8. I've also seen some fantastic Sulphur hatches in the summer, bass take the imitations greedily.

Back