Anyone try the simms intruder boot?

pcray1231

pcray1231

Expecting my brookie fishing adventures will get a little more common this summer, as leaving the wife with kids isn't as much burden as it used to be.

Used to wear chest waders for this. But given that I have more expensive gear now, trying to keep the wear off of the waders, and thinking wet wading may be the way to go. I could go the neoprene sock and regular wading boot route, but am tempted by the thought of a little more athletic, hiking style boot for wet wading. I don't want to go all the way to the sandal/low top route as I do get into some gnarly places, and some upper support is needed. But some hybrid between "wading boot" and "low top water shoe" would fit the bill.

Like the concept. Expensive, but have $200 plus cabelas bucks burning a hole. Considering it. Anyone have experience with them? Sizing? Polypropylene wet wading sock or sock free? Does the footbed bend some like a hiking boot, or are they stiff like a wading boot?

I've switched to wet wading in Summer on Brookie streams too. Traction isn't as big of an issue as it is on larger streams, but still something to consider. I have a pair of high top, but lightweight Columbia hikers I've been using. They're not heavy duty hikers by any stretch, which I think helps them drain/dry and keeps their weight down at the same time. Traction wise they're about the same as any rubber sole, unstudded wading boot in the water...all of which are not that great IMO. Out of the water the traction is generally better than a wading boot and they're way more flexible and comfy for the walk in and out. It was lovely to not take waders on my backpacking trips last Summer too.

If you go that route, you can probably get a similar pair for $100ish. Merrell makes several similar ones too. Take the leftover Cabelas bucks and get a pair of knee high snake gaiters to pair with them to better protect your lower legs, mostly just from brush, but potentially snakes too knowing the places you like to fish.

Not a bad thought. What gaitors do you use? I have a pair but they are terrible. PVC hard inserts, basically plates. And they are too tall so both heel and backside of knee hit on every step (I'm short). I end up carrying them, lol. I'm an old small game hunter and have brush pants, but they probably won't dry quick. Those or just good hiking pants, depending on brush levels. I thought I had pants covered but could be in for a surprise I suppose.

The right pair of gaitors could sway me. Experience on previous pair has me hesitant. Bring yours to jam, maybe I'll check them out.

Focusing on footwear for now, though. Bought new guide boots. I like them a lot. But wore soles flat on last pair too quickly. I have a feeling brookie jaunts and associated rock scrambling did much of that, rather than slow stumbling around in Penn's Creek. So the separate wet wading boots idea is not just keeping good waders out of high wear situations, but good boots too.

How do hiking boots hold up? Did you put drain holes in them? I wouldn't spring for the expensive Simms but I'm not seeing a lot else in the made for wading category between the low top wading shoes and tanks.

My gaiters are Whitewater brand. Knee highs. Soft, flexible material that wraps around the calf and cinches tight with clips. They can get hot if you go an extended time without dipping them in the water on a hot day, but they're soft and flexible and otherwise you don't know they're there. I'll bring em' to the jam. I just wear a pair of quick dry hiking pants under them.

So far my boots have held up fine. Not a ton of use in them yet, maybe a half dozen trips, but all of them have been decent mileage. Soles are fine, and I expect good life out of them. Stitching is still good too, that's what I expect to fail first...though I've blown out stitching on wading boots in under one season before too. Brookie fishing is really way more hiking than wading most of the time, and from that standpoint hikers that you don't care about getting wet make good sense IMO. I didn't put drain holes in mine, but I purposely looked for lighter weight, non Gore-Tex ones that I thought would drain better and hold less water when wet. (Basically the exact opposite traits of what I'd look for in a boot for normal use!) Even if they retain a little water, they're still far lighter than normal wading boots.

Thanks. Also just found Chota Quetico Trekker. They look interesting too and are in hiking boot price range. Decisions, decisions.

I was reading wading boot reviews and thought this might be useful for ya:

http://www.hatchmag.com/articles/review-simms-vapor-wading-boot/7711663

Go with a pair of neoprene socks and Simms vapors

I bought a pair 6 months ago. The first thing I noticed when I put them on was how incredibly light weight they were compared to what I was wearing. They have great traction on land and in water. I can't wait to wet wade in them.

If I go simms, it probably will be the intruder, not vapor.

The intruder is basically the vapor, just sized to be neoprene sock free and they have a built in neoprene gravel guard. Can be worn barefoot or with a polypropylene wet wading sock, which I already have. Those socks are fabric, and not waterproof, but provide cushion even when wet, and don't retain water so you don't have the slosh slosh factor.

But I probably have to decide barefoot or with sock in advance for sizing reasons.

In intruder, there's a rubber version and a hybrid rubber/felt version. The hybrid has rubber along the exterior but a patch of felt in the middle. So that's another decision.

Rregardless of what you decide to do, you're gonna want socks. Even if relatively thin ones. Figure that into your sizing. Gravel/silt is almost as worthy of an adversary as water...it eventually gets everywhere.

I went ahead and got the intruders. Came in yesterday.

The wearing them around the house test was impressive. Light, feels like a light hiker with some "athleticism" built in. Footbed has a bit of a lateral rise for underpronators like me, but I'm rare, so others may not like that. The built in neoprene sock seals tight.

A little difficult to get on at first due to that neoprene guard, but there's a trick to it and I'm guessing once you learn, you learn.

No stream test yet, of course. Jury still out on grip and longevity. But first impressions are better than I expected.

Back