2023 Carpin’ Thread

Well gents it's settled. The GRU is deploying an "Ocelot" (Spetsnaz fly fishing special forces) to investigate and hopefully combat carp in the surrounding SEPA area. The actual location of said location is remaining classified for the time being.

I'll be taking an Orvis H3D 9ft 8wt (prototype, experimental carp rod) for this outing. My first time getting it out so far as I don't think it will be seeing the salt flats very soon (if ever) (carp flats yes!). I have selected this rod as I think it will be the best tool I have for the task at hand. The SAGE reel I am using I am not too confident in but it has gotten steelhead in. It's not too nice of a reel. My Tibor Sig continues to gather dust along with the other larger game equipment I have...

Weather conditions seem sporadic right now. I may try an attractor style fly, a chartreuse mop fly or other brightly colored small streamer. Is this advised? I like to throw brighter stuff when it is overcast. I also don't have too many carp flies as I am just getting into it. I don't think mulberries will be on the menu tonight in the area I am fishing.

I don't really have any expectations of how the fishing will be. I am going at the advice of a recent friend I made and he is taking me to a spot that he prefers. I am familiar with the area as I lived close to it as a child and young teen. Last time I was at this specific location was my high school days! I will talk about how I did tomorrow. I am expecting a big fat ol' goos egg as I am quite intimidated by carp and since I have been nymphing for the majority of the year my overhand casting abilities have suffered a bit. I'll be happy if I just get a carp to follow and/or not scare them. Also will try my best to not getting distracted by rinky dink fallfish and/or redbreasts, two species of fish I REALLY like to target. More on this tomorrow... Time to see how silent I really am.

Last edited:
I went out around 6 this morning to a place where I regularly see carp. I had a blast trying to stalk these guys… I may have gotten but by the carp bug! I had one perfect scenario, with a carp close enough to see we’ll and actively feeding. He moved and came for my fly which got me too excited and I set the hook too early. I completely missed him.
My question is for cloudy water. Most of what I’ve read in this thread is about sight fishing but what if they are feeding where you can’t see a take. Are you able to feel a take? Or see your line twitch or something of that sort. Most of the area I was fishing it is hard to keep sight of the fly. Any tips?
When you can’t see the take it’s almost like a sixth sense. I very rarely actually feel a take because they take it so softly. Focus on where your tippet hits the surface of the water. Any kind of unnatural movement or the slightest twitch could be the take so react accordingly. Sometimes you’ll stick ‘em and sometimes you’ll spook ‘em. I have also already applied some floatant paste to the tippet/leader so more of it lays in the surface film allowing you to pick up on the movement of it a bit better. Good luck! I’m really excited that you guys are getting out there and getting after them!

I started this morning at 5:30 AM for an hour or so outing before work. I hit some of the same areas as yesterday but also found some additional areas where carp were feeding on berries and I had the most productive Carpin’ outing of the season so far. I brought four carp to the net this morning - all on berry flies (3 on top on the deer hair fly and 1 underneath on the chenille berry fly).

While fishing one of the same holes as yesterday I spotted a really big fish working the top and taking berries. I thought it was possibly the same fish that I caught yesterday morning. I thought to myself - “how cool would it be to catch the same carp two days in a row on the same fly”! So I gave it a shot. I presented the chenille berry fly into the zone of the big fish - it heard the “plop”, it turned and immediately moved to the fly. When it got close enough to inspect the fly - it almost jumped out of its scales as it spooked in a big old cloud of mud! I was just standing there with a huge smile on my face. Yep, that was definitely the fish that I caught yesterday. It didn’t only refuse the fly - it went into the next zip code!

The two flies pictured have been the bread winners for me so far during this season’s “berry hatch”. I have caught 8 carp on these two flies in the past four days of fishing. The wind that came through with a little weather cell earlier this afternoon may have taken down a lot of berries in real short order so the length of the window is probably shrinking. Good luck, guys - get out there and stick some!! Can’t wait to hear your stories.

IMG 8781
IMG 8788

Report.

I started off working a slow stretch under a bridge. The person I was fishing with was using spin tackle and corn, often tossing some corn out to chum the area. I thought about tying on a yellow weightless egg but refrained from doing so as I don't think that is very sportsman-like.

I fished a micro black bunny leech jig with a hot orange bead. A good searching pattern as I was just blind casting it. Got into and landed a nice 11 inch smallmouth bass that fought like a champ. Smallmouth always make me think "glad I brought an 8wt". Gorgeous specimen of a fish. Confidence was climbing.

Then I found a redbreast mine and chipped away at them for a bit (just couldn't resist!). I picked up a handful of them. Not much fun on an 8wt but it was neat to see them zipping around and smacking the small streamer. On the very first one I caught my buddy asked if he could have it for bait (I was appalled!). I have a lot of respect for this little critters as they are awesome fighters and look exotic. Luckily this guy didn't have his bait treble hooks and went searching around for one discarded by another angler. I don't know if I could have brought myself to smash that cool little panfish on the rocks so I tossed it back along with the rest. Only fish I could justify giving a good rock smashing is one of the OBNOXIOUS palominos (no chance in one of those being in this river). Thankfully my friend was unable to find a bait hook.

After a bit we decided to move to a clearing in the middle of the creek that would present me with better casting clearances. I could work from under the bridge by doing a semi steeple cast but I'd often catch some brush on a backcast, of which, I'd rip my fly free (tippet integrity check).

We walked along the rocky shoreline and crossed at the bottom of a long hole. I told my buddy we could have waded through the hole but he didn't want to as it could get pretty deep. If there were carp in this slow pool they were probably already spooked by our mere presence. Once we crossed I found a nice riffle that I thought might have a few fallfish in it. I tossed the streamer in maybe 4 times to no avail as my buddy walked up to the clearing in the middle of the creek and began tossing corn. He spotted some carp milling about and called me up (I was ready!). I came up and could not see the carp. I made 5 or 6 blind casts to where I suspected the fish were holding before I lodged my fly in a rock and broke the hook off trying to get it back. I will say it did feel like I got a light take on one of my retrieves but given the distance of the casts I was making it was hard to tell so I will say it was a rock. My buddy did say he say a carp gliding downstream after I reported my alleged take. Could this have been my first contact with a carp? An acceptance of my offering at last? I think not.

I tied on a bugger with rubber legs as it's just a nice attractor for larger rivers. I pounded the tail end of a pool where I suspected carp could be holding out. I know from experience in this river that carp like to hang out at the the end of these pools as the water picks up. Not sure why they do it. Maybe gives them a good sight picture. I lost my fly for unknown reasons and went back to my buddy for a retie. I tied on a hot pink beaded olive bunny leech. It was obvious at this point that I had long given up on carp and wished to pink up a few decent smallies before the closure of the trip. My buddy said we'd have to head back the way we came and cross a bridge to attack the other side of the creek, because this part of the creek wasn't wadable. I was perplexed by this as it looked wadable and I would be able to more effectively streamer fish it from the side of the creek I was already on. Taking a massive hit to fishing time and my fish catching cyclic rate, I followed suite.

We arrived on the opposite side and I had to clamber down several large rocks while my friend found a slow area to go for carp. Right before I got to the creek I took a fall and mashed my reel onto a rock (thank heavens it wasn't my Tibor!). I got into the creek and started casting about, tossing my streamer upstream. After a bit I realized I hadn't gotten a chance to toss a bobber today so I thought I would attempt it. I think I lost the streamer too. I waded back to shore and used a rock as a shelf for re-rigging. I tied on a golden stone trailed by a massive light pink beaded size 10 Hare's Ear, nymphs I thought would probably work. I added a 1 inch Corqs indicator and I was ready to go. I tossed the rig out, immediately got into a rock, and broke it all off, leaving a fluorescent pink circle to sway in the water. My mistake was using 8 lb. tippet to contact my anchor fly to the top fly. I don't know why I lost the whole rig though. I returned to my rock shelf with just a leader and tied on a hot orange beaded purple bunny leech. I returned to the creek and began firing casts upstream, working an area to the right of a run where the water speed slowed significantly. After a few passes I got some resistance that I thought was rock... then it moved. Smallmouth on! This one was a good fish and fought exceptionally hard. Again, sure glad I had an 8wt to put to it. Got it in and removed the barbless hook for a hassle-free release. I glanced at the fine specimen of brutal strength before gently placing it back into the water.

At around 9PM I thought I would swap out for a popper. I asked my buddy who was stationed upstream of me what color popper tie on. He said dark but I put on chartreuse one so I could see it in the light of the lamp posts of the bridge. I got a single strike at the end of a long cast. Probably a ballsy redbreast. After a bit my buddy calls down that he has a carp on so I reel in my line and pack up my stuff to assist. Before getting to him I retrieve a flashlight (would have rather had a head lamp but I didn't have one). I came down to him at his position under a bridge and watched him get this fish in. I clambered down the rocks to get streamside and gently scooped up the fish (I ditched my steelhead net in my car when we transitioned to this spot) (wish I would have had it now). I cradled the fish and it slimed my T-shirt. Never realized how slimy these fish were. The barbed Eagleclaw hook was firmly placed into its squishy mouth. I asked for a set of pliers and was handed a set of Leatherman's. I took the flash light out of my mouth and handed it to my friend as I worked. Ended up breaking the cheap hook and left part of it in the fishes mouth before releasing it as I thought getting it back into water was better than messing around trying to get a piece of hook out of its mouth. Was that they right thing to do? I don't think the hook fragment would hinder the carp's feeding abilities. A hook was reattached, coated in corn, and subsequently lobbed out with sinkers weighing more than all the flies in my box. After a short while line started pulling out and we had another fish on.

My buddy wanted me to play the fish. I was hesitant, I have a 5 year spin fishing sobriety coin in my pocket but I didn't want to sound standoffish so I thought "what the hell" and began playing the fish. I knew as soon as I picked up that rod that I had made a mistake. It's gross EVA foam handle and plastic reel handle were just so unappealing. I reached for the drag adjuster, having been used to it being on the side of the reel, and then remembering that it's located on the top of a spin reel. The reel was also in right hand retrieve. When I fly fish I cast right handed and reel left handed. I cranked the drag down and twisted my body in the opposite direction of the fish, that was now moving downstream, hoping to get into current. I broke off as fast as possible, relieving myself of the use of spin gear (thank God!). My buddy tells me that this was his catfish setup and that the line was rated at 35lb. test, although he did have a another section of line in the rig that he would later state was rated at 30 lbs. I was in disbelief, that is a test lb. rating far beyond any tippet I use. I battled steelhead successfully on 5X.

That's my "carping report", if you can even call it that, technically my first outing at least attempting to go for one. I think I am going for smallmouth now...

I went out again this morning. It was kinda cold and we had nice rain here yesterday evening so I didn’t have any good looks at a carp. But I used the floating leader trick and on my 3rd cast or so I saw a tiny tick of the leader and set the hook. I never would have felt it otherwise. So thanks for the tip dc410 👍
IMG 7606
IMG 7609

I went out again this morning. It was kinda cold and we had nice rain here yesterday evening so I didn’t have any good looks at a carp. But I used the floating leader trick and on my 3rd cast or so I saw a tiny tick of the leader and set the hook. I never would have felt it otherwise. So thanks for the tip dc410 👍View attachment 1641230933View attachment 1641230934
I’ve used that trick to put more than one carp in the net. Keep after ‘em. Good luck!

Don’t give up on them already, Silent Ocelot! Try to spot and stalk to get in tight on some active feeders. If you can see mud clouds and bubbles they are feeding on the bottom. Too much blind casting and wading can actually put a lot of carp down in the area. Keep at it!

I hate to say it, but at this point I'm in a smallmouth state of mind after fishing on Tuesday. Forgot how powerful those fish are and I now want a biggun'! Next week I have 4 days off and me my newfound fishing friend are going to start mapping out areas on a river that look like good spots for smallmouth. We will compare his convectional tactics to my fly fishing ways. Because this is a fairly larger river I think he will beat me as he will be able to cover water faster. I'm even copping a new pair of shades for the trip.

I think my attraction towards smallmouth, besides their incredibly brutal takes and fighting abilities, is the environments they inhabit. I like current because I am nymph-minded. The notion of chucking a fairly large streamer into some nice runs really appeals to me right now. Carp habitats don't appeal to me in general.

I don't want dissuade anyone in the pursuit of carp, they are really cool and extremely hard to catch on a fly, so I can respect someone's ability to pursue them. I find the pursuit of them daunting, hence why I started fishing for other species. Just maybe not something for me at the moment. I'm scatter-brained and become easily distracted when at the river, and plans to target a specific species often results in me just going after panfish.

That's a fine bass @Beweav! Looks to be maybe 3 pounds. I'm not the best at judging weight in fish, length is a different story. I've taken a few bass shy of 2 pounds on local ponds fishing a chubby Chernobyl and other ant variations (keeping it up top). Bass are quite active right now, hence my wanting to target them.

The floatant on leader is a neat trick and I'm glad the it worked out for you. This is definitely a great tactic for working stillwaters. Next week I as I try my hand at smallmouth and will want my leader to sink as fast as possible.

I hate to say it, but at this point I'm in a smallmouth state of mind after fishing on Tuesday. Forgot how powerful those fish are and I now want a biggun'! Next week I have 4 days off and me my newfound fishing friend are going to start mapping out areas on a river that look like good spots for smallmouth. We will compare his convectional tactics to my fly fishing ways. Because this is a fairly larger river I think he will beat me as he will be able to cover water faster. I'm even copping a new pair of shades for the trip.

I think my attraction towards smallmouth, besides their incredibly brutal takes and fighting abilities, is the environments they inhabit. I like current because I am nymph-minded. The notion of chucking a fairly large streamer into some nice runs really appeals to me right now. Carp habitats don't appeal to me in general.

I don't want dissuade anyone in the pursuit of carp, they are really cool and extremely hard to catch on a fly, so I can respect someone's ability to pursue them. I find the pursuit of them daunting, hence why I started fishing for other species. Just maybe not something for me at the moment. I'm scatter-brained and become easily distracted when at the river, and plans to target a specific species often results in me just going after panfish.
Good luck, I hope you stick a 20”+ Smallie. They are a whole lot of fun on the fly rod!!

I haven’t fished the last two mornings but I did scout out a section of a brand new creek yesterday AM on the way to work. I have never caught a carp in this creek, but I will!! It definitely has a decent population of nice carp, is lined with fruiting mulberry trees along the banks and is good public access with excellent parking off of the road. I spotted fish both actively feeding on the bottom and rising on top but didn’t actually see any cruising and sucking in berries. I’m not sure what’s up with that but I’ll figure them out if not this year - maybe next year. I’ll probably hit my local hotspot at daybreak tomorrow AM after laying off of them for a couple days.

IMG 8795

Carp bubbles - actively feeding carp on the bottom

IMG 8797

Actively feeding carp on the surface - not actually sure what this fish was feeding on but it definitely was not eating mulberries. Lots of debris around this fish but I would absolutely take a shot at it and hope for the best!! Nothing ventured - nothing gained!

View attachment 1641230946

Actively feeding carp on the surface - not actually sure what this fish was feeding on but it definitely was not eating mulberries. Lots of debris around this fish but I would absolutely take a shot at it and hope for the best!! Nothing ventured - nothing gained!
That's a small carp. I never knew the bubbles represented carp feeding, thought they were turtles. Temps are a tad cool now and I am in a troutin' mood before I embark on next week's smallie endeavors. Yesterday at one stretch in the creek the water felt a little cool. The trout I have been getting into seem vigorous when hooked up, unlike their typical lethargic behavior at the onset of June. The creek I am fishing feels cooler than most and it seems air temps have been cooler as of late.

@dc410, I look forward to hearing about your report on this new creek when you get around to fishing it.

That's a small carp. I never knew the bubbles represented carp feeding, thought they were turtles. Temps are a tad cool now and I am in a troutin' mood before I embark on next week's smallie endeavors. Yesterday at one stretch in the creek the water felt a little cool. The trout I have been getting into seem vigorous when hooked up, unlike their typical lethargic behavior at the onset of June. The creek I am fishing feels cooler than most and it seems air temps have been cooler as of late.

@dc410, I look forward to hearing about your report on this new creek when you get around to fishing it.
Yeah, definitely not a big fish, probably in the 22-24” range.

I was out again today at daybreak. It’s been a great week for me fishing the “berry hatch”. I’ve fished 4 out of the last 7 days and brought 10 carp to the net all on berry flies. This morning there were still tons of berries dropping and a lot of them all over the creek. The carp, however, were not working the berries real hard this morning. I did manage to bring two carp to the net (one on top and one underneath). It almost seems like they may have already OD’d on them. Possibly they are on a serious mulberry drunk or maybe working off a mulberry hangover! Either way it has been a crap load of fun over the past week. Might give ‘em another crack tomorrow early but the getting up at 4:30 AM is starting to take its toll. Tight lines, guys!!

IMG 8800
IMG 8802
IMG 8807

I can’t believe I’m actually starting up this years Carpin’ thread in February but I’m going with the pitch that Mother Nature is throwing us. When I caught my first carp this year on February 8th I classified it as a “one off”, but after hitting one of my carp spots this morning I actually think the Carpin’ season is getting into gear. The buds on the Red Maple trees certainly aren’t looking like February 21st and the carp aren’t acting like it either. I actually had four legitimate shots at carp this morning that were up into shallower water already. Some fish were mudding (head down, tail up with a mud cloud flowing!) I only managed to get one fish to eat my fly this morning but it was a solid 32” mirror carp which are always a lot of fun.

Over the past number of years I’ve annually started up this thread for PAFF carpers or wanna be carpers. Some years it gains a lot of momentum… other years not so much. The thread is meant to be fun and informative where we can all share successes and failures, productive techniques and carp patterns with each other. Please don’t hesitate to ask questions because I’ve always enjoyed sharing many of the things I have learned by trial and error over the past 10 years of chasing carp on the fly. Get out there in this beautiful weather and start locating some carp, they are starting to move. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!

View attachment 1641229017View attachment 1641229018

Fishing for smallies and panfish and saw some schooling carp so I decided to try for them even though I had the 4wt. Great take and epic battle. Thank god my buddy brought his net!

Attachments

• 14FBE9A9-91ED-4690-A378-0B2089ACE72D.png
    14FBE9A9-91ED-4690-A378-0B2089ACE72D.png
    806 KB · Views: 36
Fishing for smallies and panfish and saw some schooling carp so I decided to try for them even though I had the 4wt. Great take and epic battle. Thank god my buddy brought his net!
Nice job! Yep, never squander the opportunity to take a shot at a carp. I’ve caught a number of carp over the years on a 5 weight but never actually caught one on a smaller weight outfit than the 5. I imagine that was an awesome battle on your 4 weight.

I’ve been a member of this forum for the past 9 years, but it wasn’t until I met @dc410 last week and he told me about this annual Carpin’ Thread, showed me some of his carp flys and a picture of a carp he had just caught, that I even knew about this thread, and the enthusiasm that he and other members here have in carp fishing.

This afternoon, I looked up on the shelf just above my desk, and saw this covered box that my wife bought me while she was in England many years ago.
It has a quote from Izaak Walton in The Compleat Angler circling its top “I love any discourse on rivers, and fish and fishing”. This thread and that box have been staring me right in my eyes for a long time but I obviously didn’t take notice.

I don’t know if I’m quite ready to begin doing some serious carp fishing, but I really did enjoy meeting you last week @dc410, and having that that discourse on carp fishing. You can bet that I’ll also be following this carpin‘ thread in the future.

Image0

Very cool you got to meet the master @mt_flyfisher. Cool artwork too.

So I think I have at least refined my carping setup.

After a lawn casting session yesterday I have realized that my H3D 9ft 8wt is definitely the right stick for carp. I cleaned and put line slicker on some lines on Sunday and was out tossing them around in the backyard yesterday after work. I bought some Scientific Anglers Infinity 7WF-F for another 6wt I have but it's a tad heavy for it. Put it on the H3D, and wow, yep, that's my line for it. I could really fire the casts out there and get it to land delicately. This is precisely what I want in a carping rod, a rod capable of really getting the fly out there but softly, also helps to have an 8wt to put a bit of stick to the fish. I mated it with a Hatch Iconic 7+, which balances well and looks ok on it, but I would have preferred the previous gen 2 Fanatic in black with blue paint for little better color-coordination.

Back